Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 46.4 % ❤ 1.8 % :thumbsup: 7.3 % 😯 2.7 % :grinning: 31.8 % 🧥 2.7 % 🙏 2.7 % 😟 0.9 % :cry: 2.7 % :shit: 0.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I live in a Remain voting Tory safe seat and the council here has gone from basically 100% Tory (plus 1 UKIP) to 2/3 Tory with the rest Lib Dem and two Green. That in particular is unheard of around here, the Greens didn't even stand in the last GE.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Former Europhile MEP Vicky Ford crying about losing control of Chelmsford to the LDs became a Brexit cheerleader in order to bag a Westminster seat in Essex. You need a heart of stone not to laugh.
Attachments
E63264E1-7C2C-4A72-A744-42AF4085D254.jpeg
E63264E1-7C2C-4A72-A744-42AF4085D254.jpeg (88.19 KiB) Viewed 979 times

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Defence ministry pushes on with fire and rescue privatisation
Capita contract to go ahead despite legal battle and outsourcing failures
It is the biggest outsourcing deal since the collapse of the government contractor Carillion last year and underscores the government’s continued belief in handing fresh areas of public sector work to private contractors.

Interserve, another of the MoD’s biggest suppliers, is also in the hands of its creditors while the outsourcing of probation services for the Ministry of Justice is widely accepted to have been a disaster.

https://www.ft.com/content/cb3e0338-6f1 ... eb837566c5

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:33 pm
Defence ministry pushes on with fire and rescue privatisation
Capita contract to go ahead despite legal battle and outsourcing failures
It is the biggest outsourcing deal since the collapse of the government contractor Carillion last year and underscores the government’s continued belief in handing fresh areas of public sector work to private contractors.

Interserve, another of the MoD’s biggest suppliers, is also in the hands of its creditors while the outsourcing of probation services for the Ministry of Justice is widely accepted to have been a disaster.

https://www.ft.com/content/cb3e0338-6f1 ... eb837566c5
But what about all that legendary private sector efficiency..

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Bones McCoy wrote:But what about all that legendary private sector efficiency..
Ah, yes - I was coming to that...

Why doesn’t Britain have a Huawei of its own? The answer speaks volumes
Aditya Chakrabortty
The UK’s General Electric Company was a global tech titan in the 1980s. Then it was swept away in the riptide of Thatcherism

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... hatcherism

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:22 am
Bones McCoy wrote:But what about all that legendary private sector efficiency..
Ah, yes - I was coming to that...

Why doesn’t Britain have a Huawei of its own? The answer speaks volumes
Aditya Chakrabortty
The UK’s General Electric Company was a global tech titan in the 1980s. Then it was swept away in the riptide of Thatcherism

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... hatcherism
The community who run businesses in this country (and the USA) tend to focus on short-term high profit ventures.
Why run a business sustainable at a profit when you can start-up and cash out over a 5 year span.

By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:57 am
I'm also thinking Plessey, Cable & Wireless and STC here. And ICL.
All taken over and asset stripped.
oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Economic and military superpowers have economy of scale to create tech behemoths that the UK hasn’t. This home truth was spelled out by Harold Wilson over half a century ago. When one of these companies makes an offer to innovative a British startups its like Santa arriving as their future is assured. There’s no lack of venture capital but they invest in startups because they are betting on the Ciscos and Microsofts starting a bidding war to snap them up. The other route is strategic pan-European projects as has happened in aerospace, defence and space exploration with our more derigiste minded neighbours. But we’re now pissing that goodbye.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
A new name for this board- Baroness Charlotte Vere. Talking up bi-mode trains (ie electric trains that carry diesel engines too). These have the advantage for local communities in taking away ugly overhead wires apparently. I think wires in city streets for trams aren't great. But ever heard anyone say "don't electrify our rail line, I want to stick wiyh the diesel fumes?" Me neither.

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It seems that Johnny Mercer has in effect resigned the Conservative whip tonight, although rather confusingly he states he will continue to vote as prompted by the government on purely Brexit matters (if I have read his letter to the PM correctly):

Have you seen theold-age insurance ad, set in Yo[…]

Jeremy Corbyn faced a fresh crisis last night afte[…]

Boris Johnson

How can Patel be brought back after the last time?[…]

Labour, Generally.

I don't quite get the problem with that cartoon,[…]