Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 42.4 % ❤ 1.3 % :thumbsup: 9.5 % 😯 4.4 % :grinning: 32.3 % 🧥 3.2 % 🙏 1.9 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 2.5 % :shit: 1.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Who was the squashable Tory shit on Today this morning just before 8? Completely evasive, not answering any questions, just pushing the "Cost Of Corbyn" line. Getting laughed at by the audience at Bristol Uni.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:10 am
Who was the squashable Tory shit on Today this morning just before 8? Completely evasive, not answering any questions, just pushing the "Cost Of Corbyn" line. Getting laughed at by the audience at Bristol Uni.
That would have been Rishi Sunak, apparently Chief Secretary to the Treasury. It was little more than the now traditional at election time Tory attack on Labour's imagined spending plans. You know, Labour would cost 500 squillion quid, the country would be ruined within months, and you'd be mad to vote for it, blah blah blah. Boilerplate stuff, which thankfully the presenter Justin Webb did not allow to go unchallebged.

By Boiler
Yes, I noticed Justin Webb having a go at getting the slippery little cunt to answer his question. I think questioners should be allowed to hit people with cricket bats if they fail to answer a question after three goes.

And as was pointed out - where were your costings in 2017? It's about time this "party of fiscal responsibility" shit was stuffed into the shit where it belongs. Perhaps Johnson's profligacy on vanity projects in London should be brought up.

Oh, fancy a laugh? Another forum I read accused Kuenssberg of left wing bias.

By Tubby Isaacs
The funny thing about 2017 is that, per Philip Cowley (I think), costings were done and they came out about just about in balance. Hammond wouldn't have allowed anything else. But even when they were sliding they didn't stick them out and get a good dose of "Here's our prudence blah blah cost of Corbyn".

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
cycloon wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 pm
As I understand it the deficit has only grown. The Tories are trying to play the sensible spender game: we are spending oodles, but more responsibly than Labour. It'll work with enough people as the essential narrative remains the same.

Probably will given the lack of credibilty of the opposition despite the increasingly ridiculous Sajid Javid. This quarter's growth figure, the lowest since 2010, was heralded by Javid as 'a bounce back'. He reached this conclusion due to the economy contracting in the previous quarter. Has Cummings placed Chloe Westley in charge of the rebuttal unit?

By Tubby Isaacs
I think the vast majority of Tory target voters probably reckon austerity has been necessary, albeit with a certain wearying recently. If you believe that, then the increased debt sort of proves to you that you were right and it would have been much worse if the other lot had been in.

Jonathan Portes makes the point that Osborne vetoed the OBR looking at party manifestos, even though Robert Chope and the then Treasury Select Committee chair, Andrew Tyrie, were OK with it. Osborne knew he could rely on narrative to make the case Labour was deeply irresponsible, and didn't want the OBR saying "Well actually, no".
Labour, Generally.

Two things did for Labour at the election, 1, Corb[…]

HIGNFY

https://mobile.twitter.com/CharlotteCGill/status[…]

The Trump Presidency

On the positive side neoliberalism is dying, inc[…]

The Northern Irish thread

She'll have to make 98 or 103 in order to out[…]