Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 41.8 % ❤ 2.8 % :thumbsup: 13.3 % 😯 4 % :grinning: 29.3 % 🧥 2 % 🙏 2 % 😟 0.8 % :cry: 3.2 % :shit: 0.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It has made the BBC World Service. Let's see if the domestic platforms run the story and can resist the urge to have on Paul Staines and Kelly-Ann Meltface "for balance".

By Andy McDandy
Thoughts about the press briefing thing.

1. One does not simply walk into Downing street.

2. The division of journalists was designed to humiliate half of them in front of their peers.

3. It looks like it's failed massively.
Timbo liked this

By The Red Arrow

I can't name names but I've seen more than one suggestion today that a certain drug-taking former education minister who would need help finding his ringpiece in a dark room is already being touted as saviour of the day when the shit about to hit the fan hits the fan over a certain hairless former Deutscher Bank employee's feud with the aforementioned drug-taking former education minister who would need help finding his ringpiece in a dark room's egomaniac former special advisor who'll burn a certain over-privileged blustering pork haystack's house down on his way out. Y'all catch my drift?

By Andy McDandy
Just had another thought about today's stunt. If this is part of Cummings branding old media obsolete, not even the Sun can back it without acknowledging that they are, too, irrelevant.

So sharp he could cut himself, as my grandmother used to say.
spoonman, Boiler, Oblomov liked this

By Kreuzberger
That is as maybe. I have certainly fallen in to that neophilic trap, myself.

Please bear with me a moment. The old press media are indeed individually nigh-on obsolete but the much overlooked power is the collective force that they represent. Yes, a Panama Paper here and an expenses scandal there can blow the doors off everything but it is the "generality", the direction of travel which has the day after day impact.

The press still dominate those 4am editorial conferences, and that is what ripples outwards through social media and hourly updates until the narrative has been formed for the six and settled for the ten.

It would be a brave man who thought that, rather than buy a decent, off-the-peg suit on his 90 thousand quid, he could simply circumvent the status quo and those who have slavishly been doing his bidding.

And, much he might be setting up an apparatus to intimidate ministers and their aides lunching with hacks so as to staunch the bleeding at source, he'll not even get through to Zuckerberg on the phone, let alone Dorsey.
So sharp he could cut himself, as my grandmother used to say.
Quite.
By satnav
This morning Johnson made a totally ridiculous speech aimed at appealing the likes of Farage and other hard Brexiteers then he conveniently fell out with the media this afternoon to ensure that he would not have to face any tough questioning about what he had said earlier.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The problem for the government is that Brexit is now the central story not the Tory civil war, parliament halting it, Gina Miller or Corbyn’s useless opposition to it.

I expect the Tories to learn from this silly Trump stunt and adapt. Whereas Corbyn and Milne would have considered the MSM walking out as a triumph and then double down.

By Tubby Isaacs
youngian wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:29 pm
The problem for the government is that Brexit is now the central story not the Tory civil war, parliament halting it, Gina Miller or Corbyn’s useless opposition to it.

I expect the Tories to learn from this silly Trump stunt and adapt. Whereas Corbyn and Milne would have considered the MSM walking out as a triumph and then double down.
Ha ha. Grace Blakeley could have popped up to tell us not to "fetishize" the media.
The Red Arrow wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:02 pm

I can't name names but I've seen more than one suggestion today that a certain drug-taking former education minister who would need help finding his ringpiece in a dark room is already being touted as saviour of the day when the shit about to hit the fan hits the fan over a certain hairless former Deutscher Bank employee's feud with the aforementioned drug-taking former education minister who would need help finding his ringpiece in a dark room's egomaniac former special advisor who'll burn a certain over-privileged blustering pork haystack's house down on his way out. Y'all catch my drift?
So Gove is going to save the day because Javid and Cummings have a feud and Cummings will drop Boris in it if he leaves?

Yeah, nothing going to happen there. The Tories are many things, but unfortunately tolerating people they loathe to get and stay in power is one of them.
Jacob Rees-Mogg

I thought they had to do it in 8 minutes?

Boris Johnson

Useful idiot Dan Wootton has been charged with tel[…]

The LibDems, generally

Perhaps not she (Wera Hobhouse) and her husband […]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

I wonder what Starmer will do about this? A Labo[…]