Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 42.8 % ❤ 1.1 % :thumbsup: 12.2 % 😯 4.4 % :grinning: 30 % 🧥 2.8 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 1.1 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 1.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:14 pm
Cos heroes is grate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51401025
Family breakdown + homelessness x PTSD²
__________________________________________ = I am insanely relaxed about this.
Decades of training and transferrable skills
Boiler, Oblomov liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
I've got mixed feelings.
There were a lot of former service people at my last job.

Great when it came to acting when the pressure was on.
Prone to "need to be doing something" around low priority issues with no obvious deadline.
The latter often resulting in a lot of fiddling and meddling that got us to the situation where the pressure was on.

I certainly welcomed working with them, since they balanced out the "let's think really hard about this" over-analysers like myself.
It was important to ensure that each team contained a mix of types.

By Boiler
I've certainly got mixed feelings over it; many years ago we used to have ex-services people in from time to time, but what appeared to be an inability to think independently on their part was their undoing. However, the caveat here is that it was many, many years ago and things have changed.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
The Tories Have Given An MP Who Spoke Alongside Far-Right Politicians A Formal Warning

Daniel Kawczynski has been reprimanded by the Conservative party after criticism from Jewish and Muslim groups and has apologised for his attendance at the event.

Daniel Kawczynski was given a formal warning by the party and has apologised for speaking at the event, a Tory spokesperson said. But he will not have the whip suspended — despite widespread calls for stronger disciplinary action.

Kawczynski had been criticised by Jewish and Muslim groups after BuzzFeed News revealed his plans to speak alongside far-right leaders such as Matteo Salvini, the leader of Italy's Lega party, Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orbán, and Marion Maréchal of France's National Rally (formerly known as the National Front).

The Shrewsbury MP had initially defended his decision to speak at the National Conservatism conference, writing an article in the Spectator branding his critics "hysterical".

But after days of criticism from religious groups, a Conservative Party spokesperson told BuzzFeed News: “Daniel Kawczynski has been formally warned that his attendance at this event was not acceptable, particularly in light of the views of some of those in attendance, which we utterly condemn, and that he is expected to hold himself to higher standards. Daniel has accepted this and apologised.”
Not to defend Jeremy Corbyn here much concerning the long standing allegations of anti-semitism within Labour's left leaning ranks, but imagine if a Labour Corbynite MP had attended that conference instead... :roll:

Edit: Oops! Forgot the link...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/da ... al-warning

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 pm
This'll be the same person who lobbied the Polish Government over Brexit, yes?

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/pol ... xit-delay/
Maybe he can turn in his season ticket for Radio 5 live now.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:47 pm
I've certainly got mixed feelings over it; many years ago we used to have ex-services people in from time to time, but what appeared to be an inability to think independently on their part was their undoing. However, the caveat here is that it was many, many years ago and things have changed.
There's a relatively modern concept - about as new as the latest mark of the service rifle - called the Tactical Corporal.

The concept: Warfighting is done by smaller groups in more localised environments - Initiative must be pushed down to the lowest levels of command.
The practice: Selection, and development of junior NCOs based on awareness, tactical nous, and the intelligence that permits them to do the work of a captain for short periods. Combined with less emphasis on being able to shout obscenities, but not tie his own shoelaces.

The whole "Excellent training, and transferable skills" business is also partly true.

The armed services are (sadly) now almost unique in providing detailed, career long training.
I find that a sad reflection on the way our civilian industries are being run today.

The transferability of skills is highly dependent on the arm of service involved.
Those in the professional services, engineers and medical sections are likely in a great position.
The same ones that the hero fluffers deride as rear echelon motherfuckers.
Who are the heroes?
A stat worth considering is that 75% of the army are employed in non-combat roles.
The figure is rather higher for the navy, and above 99% for the RAF.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:33 am

"Shrill female"
Les Dawson hasn't spoke to Grace Blakeley for eight months, he didn't want to interrupt.

Dale should learn from Grace's chirpy demeanour she's a Corbynite Brexiter and has to carry double his disappointment.
The new leader of the Labour Party

Keir I'm dissapointed https://twitter.com/Polhome[…]

Piers Morgan

That's because, Piers, cleaning the place up often[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

I'm in a group on Facebook about 70s football an[…]

The Tories, Generally

When the pub gammon invokes Magna Carta, it's grea[…]