Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 41.8 % ❤ 2.8 % :thumbsup: 13.3 % 😯 4 % :grinning: 29.3 % 🧥 2 % 🙏 2 % 😟 0.8 % :cry: 3.2 % :shit: 0.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By spoonman
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
:skull: COVID 3:16 :skull:

The replies below it are great, particularly this one...

By Boiler
Isn't it nice to hear PMQs without all the jeering and general onanism?

Whilst Raab has just mentioned the success of social distancing:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -softened/
Five tests which must be met before the lockdown can be altered were set out earlier this month.

The first four have either been met or are close to being met. The fifth hurdle, which ministers have always said is the most important, was described on official Government documents on Monday as a confidence that “any adjustments to the current measures will not risk a second peak of infections”.

On Tuesday the wording was changed to say the aim was to avoid a second peak “that overwhelms the NHS” - making it easier for ministers to say the test has been met....

By KevS
Raab (to Starmer): Soz, can't say what we'll do next week re lockdown, I mean, look at Germany.

Sir Desmond Swayne: Yo, when you opening the garden centres then?
Boiler liked this

By Boiler
KevS wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:36 am
Raab (to Starmer): Soz, can't say what we'll do next week re lockdown, I mean, look at Germany.

Sir Desmond Swayne: Yo, when you opening the garden centres then?
I must admit I facepalmed when I heard that.

By KevS
To be fair to Raab, Laura K did the same thing to him in a briefing a few days ago, asking what criteria would need to be met for lockdown to be eased minutes after he had unveiled the five criteria that would need to be met for lockdown to be eased.

I'd have said "Weren't you fucking listening?"

By Boiler
KevS wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:49 am
To be fair to Raab, Laura K did the same thing to him in a briefing a few days ago, asking what criteria would need to be met for lockdown to be eased minutes after he had unveiled the five criteria that would need to be met for lockdown to be eased.

I'd have said "Weren't you fucking listening?"
I'd have paid him to do that.

By Kreuzberger
There are widely discussed benefits associated with gardening, both mental and physical.

So long as the caff isn't open, and numbers are limited on a customers-per-square-metre basis, I really can't see the problem.

In Germany, the retail complexion is somewhat different from that in the UK - more localised and with fewer megasheds - but the florists and DIY centres have been open throughout with no discernable fuss or controversy.

In fact, we went to our local one a couple of weeks ago, in order to populate the balconies and my kitchen herb garden, and everything was entirely unremarkable.

By Boiler
It seems here the garden centres can't survive without numerous add-ons that may reflect the clientele demographic. The nearest one to me has the butchers within it remaining open; I also believe they do local delivery of the plants though.

By Malcolm Armsteen
KevS wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:52 am
Christ, another Tory backbencher then asked exactly the same question ten minutes later! Are these members of the Homebase lobby?
It goes like this (I know, I've been part of the process)

No10 thinks about the likely questions to be asked at PMQ. Some of these are obvious but outlier questions have to be anticipated. Answers to those questions are written by senior civil servants in the appropriate departments and sent to No 10 where the appropriate political spin is applied. These are written up (that's what's in the PM's folder) and the PM reads (hopefully) and learns (even more hopefully) the prepared answers.

No10 thinks of the likely follow-up questions. These are passed to less senior civil servants (ie me) to write a paragraph answer, there will be lots of these, but the are still submitted to No10 and spun, polished and put in the folder. A good PM (Tony Blair) reads and remembers these. A bad one (Boris Johnson or Raab) probably doesn't, but has a series of 'common lines' to follow. Which is why, very often, the answer doesn't fit the question - it's just a common line. These are also passed out to friendly MPs, which is why you see message-mirroring. An intelligent (sic) MP puts the common line into their own words, a stupid hack (looking at you, Nadine) just puts it out unchanged.

No10 also writes a series of friendly questions and prepares answers for them. The questions are then 'suggested' to friendly MPs. Sometimes the even less-than-Dorries-intelligent manage to all ask the same question, No10 doesn't really have time to co-ordinate this (the process starts on Monday) so it's down to Sir Bufton Tufton to notice that Billy Cash-Bones has already asked it and come up with his substitute question. Unless he is so dim he doesn't have one, and so dim he just goes on with the prepared FQ anyway...

Similar goes on in LOTO's office, anticipating answers and coming up with supplementaries, suggesting questions to opposition MPs and so on. Similar comments about dim MPs apply, and of course the opposition doesn't get civil service support, so is at a huge disadvantage, especially when you have a LOTO like Allotment Jazz who won't play the system and whose communications operation is too dire to get to grips with a difficult task. Alastair Campbell was excellent at it, and Blair in opposition leaned heavily on him.

So what you are seeing is a hugely orchestrated performance, which can be influenced enormously by the personalities involved. Johnson doesn't engage, it seems, and simply blusters from common lines, Raab tries to get on his brief but is hopeless and Starmer is consummate, as you'd expect, as it sums up the skill set of a QC.

By Oblomov
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:34 pm
KevS wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:52 am
Christ, another Tory backbencher then asked exactly the same question ten minutes later! Are these members of the Homebase lobby?
It goes like this (I know, I've been part of the process)

No10 thinks about the likely questions to be asked at PMQ. Some of these are obvious but outlier questions have to be anticipated. Answers to those questions are written by senior civil servants in the appropriate departments and sent to No 10 where the appropriate political spin is applied. These are written up (that's what's in the PM's folder) and the PM reads (hopefully) and learns (even more hopefully) the prepared answers.

No10 thinks of the likely follow-up questions. These are passed to less senior civil servants (ie me) to write a paragraph answer, there will be lots of these, but the are still submitted to No10 and spun, polished and put in the folder. A good PM (Tony Blair) reads and remembers these. A bad one (Boris Johnson or Raab) probably doesn't, but has a series of 'common lines' to follow. Which is why, very often, the answer doesn't fit the question - it's just a common line. These are also passed out to friendly MPs, which is why you see message-mirroring. An intelligent (sic) MP puts the common line into their own words, a stupid hack (looking at you, Nadine) just puts it out unchanged.

No10 also writes a series of friendly questions and prepares answers for them. The questions are then 'suggested' to friendly MPs. Sometimes the even less-than-Dorries-intelligent manage to all ask the same question, No10 doesn't really have time to co-ordinate this (the process starts on Monday) so it's down to Sir Bufton Tufton to notice that Billy Cash-Bones has already asked it and come up with his substitute question. Unless he is so dim he doesn't have one, and so dim he just goes on with the prepared FQ anyway...

Similar goes on in LOTO's office, anticipating answers and coming up with supplementaries, suggesting questions to opposition MPs and so on. Similar comments about dim MPs apply, and of course the opposition doesn't get civil service support, so is at a huge disadvantage, especially when you have a LOTO like Allotment Jazz who won't play the system and whose communications operation is too dire to get to grips with a difficult task. Alastair Campbell was excellent at it, and Blair in opposition leaned heavily on him.

So what you are seeing is a hugely orchestrated performance, which can be influenced enormously by the personalities involved. Johnson doesn't engage, it seems, and simply blusters from common lines, Raab tries to get on his brief but is hopeless and Starmer is consummate, as you'd expect, as it sums up the skill set of a QC.
Most insightful, thank you. I'm beginning to understand how Magic Grandad was a consistent let down at PMQs.

By Malcolm Armsteen
The Homebase theme will have arisen from formal and informal focus groups, press cuttings (I used to do that at one time - go through all the day's papers by 10am and note items of use/potential bananana skins on a departmental basis) and TV/radio. These are sent to No 10 and collated, prioritised, and fed into the thinking. As well as having other, obvious, uses.

See: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751834/
Jacob Rees-Mogg

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonPease1/status/1267[…]

The Trump Presidency

The only time I've ever seen her smile was when sh[…]

Roll Call

The gout I've had for the last few days has subsid[…]

Boris Johnson

You know we thought we couldn't be more fucked-ove[…]