Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 43.9 % ❤ 2.7 % :thumbsup: 13.3 % 😯 5.1 % :grinning: 24.2 % 🧥 1.6 % 🙏 2.1 % 😟 0.8 % :cry: 5.9 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Introducing the walking security breach, formerly known as Dr. Fox.

Russians hacked Liam Fox's personal email to get US-UK trade dossier

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... fox-emails

And another pair of scofflaws
Using personal emails for UK government business is not illegal but ministers are reminded that government information “must be handled in accordance with the requirements of the law, including the Official Secrets Act”, in guidance published by the government in 2013.

That came two years after Michael Gove, then education secretary, and his aide Dominic Cummings were discovered to have used personal emails for government business. The information commissioner ruled subsequently that such emails were nevertheless covered by freedom of information laws.

By KevS
Nah, that was too straightforward for a 321 clue.

"So, you're rejecting the cricket bat brought in by Clive Dunn, well, the clue said to be careful or you'll get your just desserts, another word for dessert is pudding, and you could argue that a term for someone who wields a cricket bat is a batter, so we end up with batter pudding. Does that mean it's an oven? But then it says you should keep on keeping the purse strings tight close at this very moment. Batter pudding is also known of course as Yorkshire Pudding, and of course, you're standing in the studios of Yorkshire Television, and one way of us saving money would be for us not to provide you with an expensive prize, so we would have given this to you instead, that's right, you've rejected Dusty Bin! "

Audience at home:" WTF? Are you on drugs, Ted? "
The Red Arrow, Boiler, Zuriblue and 2 others liked this

By Abernathy
This was so well expressed that I've nicked it off the Fleecebook :
There is one good thing about the current Tory cabal - their wrongness isn't ambiguous. It isn't necessary to spend hours hair splitting over whether their daily actions are - immoral (not suspending their alleged rapists and Jenrick) hypocritical (not suspending Cummings) callous in the extreme (treatment of care homes, families of the bereaved, flood victims, key workers, the self employed, immigrants, the BAME community, refusal to apologise, even for 50,000 deaths) self serving (peerages, blame casting and cronyism in the cabinet) + routine, normalised dishonesty (fact massaging, video rigging, report suppression, denial, etc).

It's a governance that's purely and simply awful - the stuff of nighmares, hard to comprehend in its gravity, depravity and immorality. But its rottenness on every dimension is at least crystal clear. The only puzzle is why anyone could still support it. The only explanations I can find are the Brexit cult or a state of denial driven practically to the point of mental illness.

By Oblomov
Abernathy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:24 am
This was so well expressed that I've nicked it off the Fleecebook :
There is one good thing about the current Tory cabal - their wrongness isn't ambiguous. It isn't necessary to spend hours hair splitting over whether their daily actions are - immoral (not suspending their alleged rapists and Jenrick) hypocritical (not suspending Cummings) callous in the extreme (treatment of care homes, families of the bereaved, flood victims, key workers, the self employed, immigrants, the BAME community, refusal to apologise, even for 50,000 deaths) self serving (peerages, blame casting and cronyism in the cabinet) + routine, normalised dishonesty (fact massaging, video rigging, report suppression, denial, etc).

It's a governance that's purely and simply awful - the stuff of nighmares, hard to comprehend in its gravity, depravity and immorality. But its rottenness on every dimension is at least crystal clear. The only puzzle is why anyone could still support it. The only explanations I can find are the Brexit cult or a state of denial driven practically to the point of mental illness.
The other week I tried to put down some thoughts on how anybody could justify voting Tory outside of naked and borderline-sociopathic self-interest, as any previous guff they came out with about morality & decency, economic competence, national security etc. had been utterly compromised over the last 10 years. This has articulated perfectly what I was trying to get it, thank you comrade.

By Kreuzberger
And there are some on here who clutch their pearls when we periodically recall the words of Nye Bevan.

There again, at least you know where you stand with vermin.
Watchman liked this
Oblomov wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:24 am
The other week I tried to put down some thoughts on how anybody could justify voting Tory outside of naked and borderline-sociopathic self-interest, as any previous guff they came out with about morality & decency, economic competence, national security etc. had been utterly compromised over the last 10 years. This has articulated perfectly what I was trying to get it, thank you comrade.
I think this govt. has uniquely landed at a point where most people are alright enough that they just don't care, and when people don't care they vote conservative - especially when they're coming off a Labour party that only ever seemed to care about things they couldn't fathom. They've got where they are on a tide of selfishness and of people convinced they'd be even better off if it wasn't for "others". Problem is, like in Trump's America, the road is running out. There aren't many "others" left to blame, and you can't cover rank incompetence and corruption at handling issues you can't effectively blame on Mexican cleaners or Polish builders, in our case.

Brexit is locked in now, and I'm at the stage where I hope it's the biggest shitshow possible. I know all those responsible will fuck off immediately, but whoever inherits the Tory crown when Johnson has served his purpose will inherit "you did this!" as well. Corbyn fans may lament Starmer pulling him excruciatingly slowly away from outright endorsing brexit, but when it all goes to shit that not being tarred with the same brush will pay dividends.

Covid aside, people's lives now are broadly what they were a few years ago. Next year, they won't be. Everything will cost more, and there'll be less of it. Paperwork will be everywhere. Just to take 1 tiny aspect, Summer 2021 might be covid-free, but there'll be huge queues at borders for Brits only, roaming charges, reams of paperwork and extra charges for rental cars, whopping holiday insurance from no EHIC and so on. When ordinary people who don't much care for politics have their lives made substantially more shit in ways that they probably haven't seen in living memory, that's when it'll turn.
Abernathy, Cyclist, Zuriblue liked this
The Tories, Generally

As someone said on there, paraphrased - the worst[…]

US election 2020

https://twitter.com/EricTrump/status/1319672735035[…]

Priti Patel

Oh my God. It's a rather high profile case, at a r[…]

Peter Hitchens

And extremely intelligent, and a critical thinker.