Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 44.4 % ❤ 2.2 % :thumbsup: 13.4 % 😯 4.9 % :grinning: 24.1 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 0.8 % :cry: 6 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:07 pm
Sadly, he probably knows a lot more about northern bigots than we do.
Tales of how “they’re everywhere” and “I was too scared to walk on my own” reach the far flung corners of the realm after the annual coach trip to Wembley or a Lloyd-Webber musical. It can feel odd if you are the only white person on a bus for about two days. Don’t leave London for a year and then go to a small town and it then feels just as weird to see so many white faces everywhere. See the famous psychology experiment with upside down vision glasses.

By oboogie
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Samanfur wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:44 pm
The young PC who shoved his head through the passenger side window said that it was a routine stop related to gun and knife crime in the area, so I very much doubt that the lockdown status of Yorkshire had anything to do with it.
Thank you, Samanfur, you've just unbaffled me. Such is the effectiveness of the government's COVID comms strategy that I'd completely forgotten that parts of Yorkshire are under lockdown.

By Boiler
oboogie wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:58 am
Thank you, Samanfur, you've just unbaffled me. Such is the effectiveness of the government's COVID comms strategy that I'd completely forgotten that parts of Yorkshire are under lockdown.
Indeed. If you live in Burley-in-Wharfedale, you're in lockdown but if you live in Otley (two miles away) you're not. Apparently it's because Burley comes under Bradford, but Otley comes under Leeds.

Source; mate who lives in the former town.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... -lockdown/

Bonus material:
https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... ip-davies/

By crabcakes_windermere
The Red Arrow wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:49 pm
Government of bullshitters, by bullshitters, for bullshitters. Or things that never happened, volume whatever...
Bizarre isn't it. She's yet another failed thespian that's also a thing
I actually believe her - I can totally believe that 3 young conservatives approached her to say they can't express their views.

The missing bit is that they can express their views, they just *choose* not to because they get absolutely fucking demolished and don't like losing or having their views challenged, and everyone then treats them like selfish, bigoted twats. You know - for having selfish, bigoted views and aligning themselves with selfish bigots.

By Oblomov
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:16 am
The Red Arrow wrote:
Government of bullshitters, by bullshitters, for bullshitters. Or things that never happened, volume whatever...
I actually believe her - I can totally believe that 3 young conservatives approached her to say they can't express their views.

The missing bit is that they can express their views, they just *choose* not to because they get absolutely fucking demolished and don't like losing or having their views challenged, and everyone then treats them like selfish, bigoted twats. You know - for having selfish, bigoted views and aligning themselves with selfish bigots.
I agree. Back when I used Facebook, I sometimes interacted with a "Libertarian" crank based in Rochdale who genuinely bought into the "cultural Marxism" conspiracy theories and other such wild speculation because he was mocked and outcast mercilessly at school for being the only Tory out of several hundred kids.

Needless to say he's done no self-reflection on why that is and is devoted fan of that loon Daniel Hannan.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Get a Tory nodding by telling them immigrants should obey the same laws as British workers when they come over here. Same wages and conditions and same union and collective bargaining rights. The nodding stops.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
The thought crossed my mind; with the use of the word "teacher", I automatically assumed they were in secondary education, from which I thought, "an MP interested in the views of those who have not got the vote yet"

By Andy McDandy
Given that it's highly unlikely that she met these kids in school, and who's going to randomly approach someone on the street (if they could identify her as their MP), I'm guessing that they either phoned up her surgery, or are family friends. Either way, it's a self-selecting sample.

By oboogie
youngian wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:01 am
PC Plod thinks all people in Yorkshire are white and wear flat caps so the silveries must have nicked the car.
Still doesn't answer why they chose to run a PNC check on that particular car.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:16 am
The Red Arrow wrote:

That’s nothing, if you express traditional conservative views about the rule of law in the Tory Party like Dominic Grieve you get chucked out

By Andy McDandy
To be fair, the old police boards (replaced by police & crime commissioners, because Osborne had a Batman fetish) that provided oversight consisted of magistrates, religious leaders, and other local worthies - the idea being that policing is a community activity, and can only ben done with the consent of said community.

As for the inspector not being a cop, there is an argument that getting someone from outside the organisation is a good thing, because they don't have any internal ties or ingrained attitudes - they're more able to see how things should be than how they are. Although the bling's a little over the top.
Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

It just pisses me off that even when Corbyn is doi[…]

Sarah Vine aka Mrs Gove

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8861437[…]

These are tactics to bail out a friend. Johnson is[…]

Shaun Bailey

To be fair, even Bailey himself has said this is o[…]