Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 44.1 % ❤ 2.2 % :thumbsup: 13.6 % 😯 5.2 % :grinning: 24 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 2.2 % 😟 0.8 % :cry: 6 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I use very little salt in cooking.
The stuff I use comes in those tall plastic squeezers for about 25 pence.

By contrast my goldfish live like lords, enjoying a mild solution of the finest koshering salt that I obtain in 25Kg packs from a local butcher.

No tories were harmed during the posting of this irrelevant fact.

By crabcakes_windermere
Ah yes, Maldon. On the estuary of a river opening into the reliably brown surf of the North Sea, just down the coast from the delights of Clacton, Walton and Mersea, and right over the river from Bradwell nuclear power station.

I'm sure the used johnnies, lager piss and reactor waste water just add to the flavour...

By Bones McCoy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:36 am
Where's Earl Byrhtnoth when you need him?
He strides the elysian fields in company with Saint Cedd.
Malcolm Armsteen liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
That’s SE Cambs Labour’s next GE leaflet sorted. Lucy is a vacuous hack hostage from the Cameron years on the rise due to her ability to filibuster airtime with a heap of nothing.
Attachments
C3849A25-D1AC-4937-91D1-105765A65EEA.jpeg
C3849A25-D1AC-4937-91D1-105765A65EEA.jpeg (478.37 KiB) Viewed 386 times

By Bones McCoy
Bones McCoy wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:55 pm
I always hankered to learn multi-tonal throat singing.
Have no idea how to go about it without seriously mangling the larynx.

Any ideas?
For any others who may be interested.
There's a fair bit of material online, plenty of videos of people doing it.
Some physics and biology papers describing how it works.
And a few "How to" articles.

At this early stage it seems to combine two fairly familiar skills.

1. Digeridoo rumbling - except this time you're using your windpipe as the instrument.
2. Harmonic shaping - we do this as we peak, sing etc, but the effect is more significant when listening to a Jew's Harp, somebody playing bends on a mouth organ or (is this just me) voicing a tune while using an electric toothbrush.

#1 is going to need a bit of practice.

I think combining both techniques will be rather difficult, and need a lot of practice.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
At this early stage it seems to combine two fairly familiar skills.

1. Digeridoo rumbling - except this time you're using your windpipe as the instrument.
2. Harmonic shaping - we do this as we peak, sing etc, but the effect is more significant when listening to a Jew's Harp, somebody playing bends on a mouth organ or (is this just me) voicing a tune while using an electric toothbrush.

Scheduled to be featured in BBC4’s ‘Kershaw’s World Music Travels’ but has been MIA in the pub since 2005.

By Bones McCoy
Cyclist wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:52 pm
<Reads last few posts. Checks thread title>

:roll:
It'll all make sense when I video a Mongolian version of Land of Hope and Glory.
They were masters of wider still yet wider bounds setting.
Cyclist liked this

By Abernathy
Well, I know that the salary increase for members of parliament jars, however you frame it, but juxtaposing it with the undoubtedly paltry increases granted, or more commonly, not granted, to key public service workers is a tad disingenuous. I appreciate that it is designed to engender outrage, but I'd greatly prefer it if such tactics were eschewed.

Frankly, I'd rather that MPs were properly paid at the going rate for the job. It is a bastard of a job, hard to do well, and although there are slackers, most MPs have to work bloody hard and are putting in stupidly long hours for their corn. MPs' salaries are now determined by an independent body that assesses every factor in determining the rate for the job, so MPs themselves have no say at all in what they are paid.

Yes, nurses and other public servants should be paid more. But let's not link that issue to the pay of parliamentary representatves. It really has nothing whatsoever to do with it.
Twat of the Day

Took a look, and almost immediately saw a forged t[…]

Poppy Day bingo

Complete with wrong colours on the Spit. :roll: […]

Nicola Sturgeon sounding like Michael Gove on Brex[…]

On the Radio

R4’s Across the Red line asks whether impart[…]