Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.1 % ❤ 2.1 % :thumbsup: 11.9 % 😯 5.2 % :grinning: 22.2 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 1.9 % 😟 0.6 % :cry: 5.2 % :shit: 0.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Oblomov
satnav wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:24 pm
I think the proposed reform of the NHS is just a wheeze by Johnson and his pals to try and lay much of the blame for the government's failings in the pandemic on the NHS.

Clearly they can't blame the doctors and nurses because they have got a lot of support in the country but if the government starts to point the blame at bureaucrats, overpaid managers, pen pushers and red tape many people could be persuaded into believing that most of the mistakes in the pandemic were down to NHS structures and procedures rather than ministerial incompetence.
It's the attitude suburban Mailites like my dad have held for years, as well as being an easy way to curry favour with small state cranks (wasn't it a few years ago when Gove was talking about tackling "the blob" of bureaucracy within the education department?)

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Yup, everyone knows that massive savings can be made if you sack all the diversity officers and bring back matron and aren't nurses all angels and little kiddies at Great Ormond Street. Just as all the problems at the BBC could be solved by paying Gary Lineker less and getting rid of Graham Norton.

Pity these geniuses all work as pundits rather than management consultants.

By Tubby Isaacs
As George Burns said “Too bad that all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxicabs and cutting hair.”

Is this culture war stuff v universities going to work? Won't it look like, at best, the government has better things to be spending its time on?

By Andy McDandy
As a colleague put it, there's nothing stopping Toby Young or Katie Hopkins rolling up on campus with a megaphone. It's just that there won't be a buffet or expenses form attached.

The real target isn't students or academics. It's the people who think all students are lefty pooftahs, and it's about reassuring them.

By Bones McCoy
Hello I'm Steve Baker MP from the European Research Group.
I'm here to tell you it's perfectly normal to wait 30-50 years for your Brexit dividend.

Hello I'm Steve Baker MP from the Covid Recovery Group.
I'm here to tell you it's utterly unacceptable to wait 10 weeks for Lockdown to do its work.
Oblomov, The Red Arrow, spoonman and 1 others liked this

By The Red Arrow
Unbefarkinlievable...

A NHS shakeup could be revolutionary – but only if staffing levels are boosted too
Jeremy Hunt
Mon 15 Feb 2021 14.56 GMT

If this is to be a ‘1948 moment’, ministers and health leaders must ensure it is not just a reshuffling of the deckchairs

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... eremy-hunt
Matthew Goodwin

It's the university who are pulling it down. The[…]

Shaun Bailey

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1365007869[…]

Poppy Day bingo

Might pop in for a pint, meeself. You'll be po[…]

SNP

https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1[…]