Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.1 % ❤ 2.1 % :thumbsup: 11.9 % 😯 5.2 % :grinning: 22.2 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 1.9 % 😟 0.6 % :cry: 5.2 % :shit: 0.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/ ... -bombshell
Millions of council tax payers are in line for increases of up to 5% in their annual bills from April, with those on low and middle incomes hit hardest by a sixth year of increases in England above the rate of inflation.

The tax rise, which Labour said amounted to a “£2bn council tax bombshell” for families still coping with the pandemic, will go ahead despite Boris Johnson’s claim that he would end years of austerity.
I know we shouldn't assume that people will see through this dump on councils trick, but I wonder if a few more might this time.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
davidjay wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:30 pm
It used to end careers and bring down governments. Now it doesn't raise an eyebrow. And there will be those who defend it and attack the GLP as elitist, anti-British, unpatriotic.
It's actually not that big a thing here. The court found that contacts were published late. I'm not sure that this would ever have brought a minister down, least of all in a pandemic. There's, as far as I know nothing in this judgement that says "the government unlawfully gave contracts to its mates" or anything like that. If Labour went full out for Hancock's resignation, I think it would bite them on the arse. Nobody much will care about the substance of the judgement.

It's important that the GLP keeps the government on its toes though, and I think there are other actions that might yield more dramatic results.
oboogie liked this

By Bones McCoy
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:04 pm
Yep, and I think there are cases about that too.

That's not what this case was about.
There was a small piece in the media yesterday which claimed the Tories had suspended the requirement for usual tendering at the start of the crisis.
No idea whether its true.

In the USA, where laws have imaginative names it might have been called the "We can give your money to all our mates and you can't do a thing" amendment.

The real tragedy is that so few voters seem to care.

By Andy McDandy
"We did what we had to do, it was a crisis"

"Yeah but look at the people you gave contracts to..."

"You just don't get it, do you? People were dying! We had to act! So yes, corners got cut, but we had to act!"

"I'm not denying that, it's just that if you look at..."

"PEOPLE WERE DYING! WOULD YOU HAVE PREFERRED THAT WE DID NOTHING?"

And that's the danger of letting the other side control the narrative.
By satnav
Andy McDandy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:12 pm
"We did what we had to do, it was a crisis"

"Yeah but look at the people you gave contracts to..."

"You just don't get it, do you? People were dying! We had to act! So yes, corners got cut, but we had to act!"

"I'm not denying that, it's just that if you look at..."

"PEOPLE WERE DYING! WOULD YOU HAVE PREFERRED THAT WE DID NOTHING?"

And that's the danger of letting the other side control the narrative.
Some of Hancock's excuses who have been valid if he was in charge of a small department with a handful of staff but the department of health employs thousands of staff. They must have hundreds of officials who do nothing but draw up and issue contracts. These people were not driving around in lorries delivering the PPE they were just dealing with fairly standard contracts. Presumably most of the companies who won the contracts will have not started supplying any PPE until contracs had actually been signed.
Bones McCoy liked this

By Andy McDandy
Also, survivor bias is kicking in. 11 months ago, the lack of PPE, the desperate shortages, the humiliating scenes where medical dramas and fetish companies donated their stocks, dominated the news. Now? An afterthought. We Got Through It. Never Did Me Any Harm. Load of Fuss Over Nothing.

Teething troubles, imagine the alternative, at least we did something*. That's the narrative.

*Whether it's a genuine quote from history or just from a Sharpe novel, I'm reminded of the Prince of Orange, at the battle of Waterloo, after blundering and getting his men killed, covering this by saying that as a commander, it would have been a greater sin to make no decision than to make a bad one.
Poppy Day bingo

Might pop in for a pint, meeself. You'll be po[…]

SNP

https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1[…]

Matthew Goodwin

This man speaks for me. https://twitter.com/eadin[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Jez is leading the real opposition by calling for […]