•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... sels-uk-eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The British government will prioritise the economy and jobs in the Brexit negotiations beginning next week, Philip Hammond has said, in remarks that will be seen as a clear signal of his desire for a soft Brexit.

The chancellor said the British negotiating team would be open to ideas from their counterparts in Brussels as to how best to maintain economic prosperity ahead of the opening of negotiations between the EU and the UK on Monday.

Hammond is reportedly campaigning within the cabinet for Theresa May to U-turn on her pledge to take the UK out of the customs union. The Treasury is said to be in “street-fighting mode” and confident that it will win support from Damian Green, the prime minister’s newly appointed deputy.
Sounds like Phil is flexing his muscles.

By mattomac
Problem is May is now a massive issue, her attitude and comments before the election were spiteful and nasty, now we have to pretend such attitude was a "joke" and laugh it off?

And what is worse Davis, Johnson and Gove (in his press role) were all spouting the same thing, Hammond really has to be favourite in my view, either that or Rudd and she has a majority of 300.

Imagine she sees no bounce (Being May's bestie will probably see to that), Labour will smell the opportunity to get rid of the leader of the Government in probably what would be the biggest political earthquake.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Labour now has some plausible people to succeed Corbyn but its damn difficult seeing who will succeed May. The thought of McDonnell and Corbyn running the country concentrates Tory minds and they will have to march back to the centre to survive and find some allies there. Hammond is a steady hand on the tiller to compensate for his charisma by-pass.

The DUP might not wear it as he likes fags so much. How Tory is this
As a former health spokesman for the Conservatives and the founder of a medical equipment firm, Philip Hammond is all too familiar with the dangers of nicotine.

Now the Transport Secretary, he has discovered that smoking does, however, have certain attractions.
Mandrake can report that Hammond and his wife, Susan, were treated to more than £1,000 worth of hospitality at the Chelsea Flower Show by Japan Tobacco International.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... oking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Boiler
Some eighty years ago one of the quality radio manufacturers produced a radio set that was "so easy to use, even the ladies of the household can tune it."

You'd have hoped we'd moved on a bit from then... and again, we see "that looks easy, so it must be easy"

By bluebellnutter
During her recent visit to the Bluebell, Flying Scotsman was crewed by three people, all of whom were women. I know, imagine that.

By Boiler
As I was driving home tonight I heard an excerpt from a Pathé Newsreel on Saturday PM about Russian women train drivers during the last War... and women train drivers now.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08x4rwj#play" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 21:58 in)
The Mail & Climate Change

The sort of people who are frightened by a littl[…]

How is Margaret Hodge to know if a particular ab[…]

Labour, Generally.

Not much evidence North East Remain MPs suffered i[…]

No? You must realise that there are separate issue[…]