•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote:
Youngsters 'give up trying' to find work because of Labour's 'relentless negativity' about the economy, says Jobs Minister Esther McVey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... McVey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh right it's the opposition fault, well that'a new excuse I'll grant you

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Youth unemployment falling faster in Britain than anywhere in the G7, minister Esther McVey boasts at summit in Australia
Mailites no longer believe it.
Raumarik, A City, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
Raised school leavers age, zero hours contracts and increase in part time working. It's smoke and mirrors, as usual. Statistics under this government mean nothing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3Cr8cokyN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
The musical comebacks of artists such as the Rolling Stones and Tina Turner show that older people should return to the workplace, Esther McVey has said.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs ... qus_thread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Staggeringly inane.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The success of pop stars such as Mick Jagger performing to sell out Glastonbury crowds into their seventies should be an inspiration for older people considering taking on another career, she said.
As the Rolling Stones have wanted to be septuagenarian blues men since their teens, this is not even a convincing observation of the current zeitgeist.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
After a deal of rational, objective consideration, firmed up by last night's edition of QT, I have decided that I would like few things more than to kick 27 shades of shite out of McVey.

Not that I condone or advocate violence against women. But McVey is barely even human.

I'm kind of joking here of course, folks, but as ever, there is a base sentiment in there that being civilised, as those of us who deplore Tories and Toryism broadly are, keeps anchored in the sub-conscious.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Grieving relative confronts DWP minister Esther McVey after benefit sanctions inquiry
The sister of a diabetic who died after having his benefits cut wept after hearing the minister say there is state support for vulnerable people.

by Ashley Cowburn Published 4 February, 2015 - 16:29
Once again Esther McVey has shown a stunning disregard for the mountain of evidence provided during this inquiry from individuals, academics and organisations who have seen first-hand, or worse experienced, the effect of this government’s inhumane approach to sanctioning, especially against vulnerable people.

I can’t imagine how it must have felt for people like Gill Thompson, who has battled so hard to get answers about her brother’s death, to have to listen to Esther McVey say support is there for vulnerable people who are sanctioned.

And, once again she point-blank refused my demand for a second, full, independent inquiry into sanctions. Anyone who’s been following this inquiry and heard the evidence will fully understand why the government will never allow a full inquiry. They have too much to hide and too much to lose.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... -sanctions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
How many benefits claimants have to kill themselves before something is done?
Frances Ryan

Malcolm Burge is just one of at least 49 deaths that appear to be connected to the benefits system. But the government’s response has been truly shocking
It apparently takes more than a few of its citizens killing themselves on their watch to worry this government. Esther McVey, the employment minister, has declared publicly “we followed all of our processes correctly”, despite the fact campaigners report “serious failings” in how DWP staff are following safeguards when sanctioning vulnerable people’s benefits, whether that’s contacting the claimant’s social worker or psychiatric nurse, or that no such safeguards even exist for people on jobseeker’s allowance.

There can be no doubt at this point that the process of giving out benefits in this country has rotted. Listening to evidence from the work and pensions select committee inquiry into sanctions has been like witnessing a parade of sadism: stories of jobcentre staff pressured to “trip up” vulnerable jobseekers; the tale of a pregnant women, with mental illness, forced to walk two miles to a foodbank because her benefits had been removed and she hadn’t eaten a cooked meal in a fortnight.

From central government to local councils, no one can say they didn’t see this coming. As far back as 2012, jobcentre bosses warned of the risk of suicides among benefit claimants forced to endure the coalition’s “reforms”. See that people are already struggling, and make the decision to push them, and it is entirely obvious that some will start falling.

Forget morality (we appear to have done so already, anyway), publishing investigations into these deaths – both as individual cases and as a whole – is a matter of basic transparency of power.

“I think you’re inflaming this,” McVey told the sanction inquiry last week when challenged on benefit claimants’ deaths. I wonder when exactly we are permitted to start making a fuss, what the tipping point is for at least 49 people to be treated as more than just numbers on austerity’s spreadsheet.

I suppose it is excessive to expect a responsible, or basic human reaction to these deaths from our elected officials. But then we are only dealing with benefit claimants, aren’t we? This government could never deem their suffering a national scandal. To care about someone’s death, you have to first believe their life mattered.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... e-suicides" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Vile cow, hopefully she'll lose her seat.

It's on the cards. :D

Tory Minister for Disabled Esther McVey set to lose her seat at election
https://tompride.wordpress.com/2015/03/ ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flybmi collapses, blaming Brexit uncertainty […]

Just when you think Yaxley-Lennon couldn’t b[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

It doesn't but it can be a nuisance to Labour.

The Tories, Generally

Exclusive: Tory Party 'In Denial' Over Islamopho[…]