•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Looking back at my original post starting this thread 4 years ago (in those blessed pre-Brexit times), I should say that I've substantially revised my opinion of her.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Ex-Tory MP Anna Soubry has claimed Theresa May has a “problem with immigration” on the same day she decided to quit the Tories to join parliament’s new Independent Group.

Soubry, who announced her resignation on Wednesday over the government’s stance on Brexit, told BBC Newsnight that the prime minister would not agree to the single market “because of the free movement of people”.

Soubry added: “And I think what’s really worried me about Theresa, and she has history in the Home Office that supports this – because I’m an old barrister, I look at the evidence – and I think she’s got a problem with immigration. I really, honestly do.”
Asked by presenter Kirsty Wark whether she meant a personal issue with immigration as opposed to one related to policy, Soubry replied: “Oh yeah, I think she just has a thing about immigration.

“And I don’t know where the hell that’s come from, because in a modern Conservative Party, when you again look at the evidence, if we don’t have all of these people that come and do all this work in our country, who on earth is going to do it?”
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... f4d8a2172a

and this:

By Biggus Robbus
Abernathy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:57 pm
Looking back at my original post starting this thread 4 years ago (in those blessed pre-Brexit times), I should say that I've substantially revised my opinion of her.
Dontcha love it when politicians are ideologically opposed to lying. The intestinal fortitude it must take not to jump on the bandwagon for your own gain.

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
Wowsers. James O'brien is taking a holiday from LBC, and so Anna has said, "yep, I'll stand in from him, I used be on the telly, me".

Now bearing in mind the abuse she's inevitably going to get, fair play to her, she's got cojones to even think of doing that.
bluebellnutter, oboogie liked this

By bluebellnutter
KevS wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:35 am
Stone me, she's on Question Time tonight as well! Is it Enrage The Gammon day?
My grandmother used to own a small West Highland Terrier. Every day when it was dry a cat would turn up on their wall at around 3pm and sun itself outside their front window. Every day the dog would stand on the window-ledge quivering with rage at this cat having the temerity to be there.

In this analogy, Anna is the cat and the gammon are the dog.
By mattomac
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:03 pm
Ex-Tory MP Anna Soubry has claimed Theresa May has a “problem with immigration” on the same day she decided to quit the Tories to join parliament’s new Independent Group.

Soubry, who announced her resignation on Wednesday over the government’s stance on Brexit, told BBC Newsnight that the prime minister would not agree to the single market “because of the free movement of people”.

Soubry added: “And I think what’s really worried me about Theresa, and she has history in the Home Office that supports this – because I’m an old barrister, I look at the evidence – and I think she’s got a problem with immigration. I really, honestly do.”
Asked by presenter Kirsty Wark whether she meant a personal issue with immigration as opposed to one related to policy, Soubry replied: “Oh yeah, I think she just has a thing about immigration.

“And I don’t know where the hell that’s come from, because in a modern Conservative Party, when you again look at the evidence, if we don’t have all of these people that come and do all this work in our country, who on earth is going to do it?”
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... f4d8a2172a

and this:

Apparently she was the one who blocked the removal of students from the immigration figures, even though there is no proof that they overstay in any numbers let alone large ones.

By Daley Mayle
bluebellnutter wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:49 am
KevS wrote:
My grandmother used to own a small West Highland Terrier. Every day when it was dry a cat would turn up on their wall at around 3pm and sun itself outside their front window. Every day the dog would stand on the window-ledge quivering with rage at this cat having the temerity to be there.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:

I'd like to get back to disliking Tory frontbencher Soubry for defending Osborne's cuts in her haughty barrister manner designed to get up your nose. You at least respect that those politics are founded in some kind of empirical reality. Both parties are now so far down a Trumpian rabbit hole of fantasy Brexit economics and politics even Anna Soubry looks like a safe port.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
bluebellnutter wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:49 am
KevS wrote:

Cyclist, Boiler liked this

By Biggus Robbus
Oh god I am seeing smears from the Corbyn dicksuckers I followed after the election "success".

It's hard to dig up the past when people ditch the past. However that takes courage, which is something the "mainstream" sorely lacks.

I suppose we can thank evolution. Invertebrates eventually evolve into vertebrates.
Timbo liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:01 pm
Abernathy wrote:

I'd like to get back to disliking Tory frontbencher Soubry for defending Osborne's cuts in her haughty barrister manner designed to get up your nose. You at least respect that those politics are founded in some kind of empirical reality. Both parties are now so far down a Trumpian rabbit hole of fantasy Brexit economics and politics even Anna Soubry looks like a safe port.
This is probably why Corbyn fans are quite so enraged by the IG. It brings to the fore that things are rarely black and white, good guy and bad guy. Some Tories have good qualities and have supported shit policies. Some Labour people support shit policies and are good people and so on. You have to make a judgement call on what's the most important thing to you, what will do the most good, what you can compromise on.

Every 'Oh no! X supported tax policy in 2014! TORIES OUT!!! SCABS!!'post is a result of that naive, rear view only worldview. That's all they can see, as opposed to the disaster that Brexit would be.

I remain convinced most people just want government to fuck off and do a competent, non-corrupt job for the most part - not too left, not too right. People don't want a radical left-wing agenda, they just wanted someone a bit less corporate slick and powerpoint than Andy Burnham etc. Unfortunately the breath of fresh air turned out to be a stale gust from the 1970s and here we all are.
Boiler, davidjay, Cyclist and 3 others liked this

He's been denying that for about a decade now […]

The EDL

Met police pay out £700,000 to detained an[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Or, arguably, with them.

The LibDems, generally

I can't say Jo Swinson's ever floated my boat but […]