•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Minister for Brexit Davis Davis appeared unaware of how EU trade deals actually work
Mr Davis believed it was possible to negotiate one-on-one trade deals as recently as May

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 36121.html

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Seems Davis is keen on European free movement of capital. Especially when it comes his way evidently

By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
David Davis: whole government to blame if Brexit goes wrong
Brexit secretary dismisses as ‘conspiracy stuff’ idea that leave campaigners were put in charge so they could be held responsible

So why were you three put in charge?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ampaigners
By PaulOnBooks
Membership Days Posts
After the nuclear Armageddon there'll be two species left alive: cockroaches and David Davis - and he'll be looking for a back to stab and a buck to pass.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Our nation's future is being determined by a man who thinks this is an episode of Dad's Army

David Davis MP @DavidDavisMP
Access to our market is more important to Europe than our access to theirs

hrtbps ‏@hrtbps
@DavidDavisMP YOU TELL 'EM DAVE

By mattomac
Membership Days Posts
I'd like to see what these are like as a %

As someone else said what are we actually exporting?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Exporting cars under WTO rules is not so technical difficult but we are third largest services exporter in the world and economically need the EU far more than Germany. It's not just about the single market but the common external tariff area and over 50 FTAs that give us access to the world's medium size economies.

What Davis fails to understand that whether its services or manufacturing EU countries will have a competitive advantage to eat into the UK's export market and are happy to take a hit on tariffs to the UK. May is going to a gun fight with a water pistol even if negotiations were about economics which they are not. Any concession to the UK is a concession to Alternative Deutschland and Le Pen.
By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
What is this thing with "yeah but they will still want to sell us BMW's". Now the thing I cannot understand in relation to that is.... how many other countries want left-hand drive cars - not very many as far as I can tell, therefore in relation to their total sales I would assume we ain't so important.

By Tommy Gun
UK is important market for German car industry but not the most important. Their biggest market is the EU and they will place that way above the UK when a trade deal is negotiated.
What people like David Davis don't tell people is that we export as many cars to the EU as we import from the EU.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
This bollocks about BMW. Is is naivety or wilful over-simplification?

Of course, BMW want to sell as many cars as possible and they do that by running the lines tooled to deliver the many variants they need. Some for SA, others for the USA, and others still for China, and on it goes. If they find that they are able to sell fewer units in the UK (for GBPs of rapidly diminishing value), they'll simply run the RHD line for less time.

That is a simplification too but a realistic one.

By cycloon
Membership Days Posts
Wow, £1.3 billion is a big number! Wow! I wonder what other bug numbers there are?! Perhaps the value of the City's tax contribution. That's probably a pretty big number!!!

This is fucking politics for children. 'Look kids, wooo, lots of zeroes!!!'
By Silkyman
Membership Days Posts
£16bn of cars?

Bit of an oversimplication here, but let's say an average new German car is £30k. That makes for more than half a million brand new cars. One in 10 people in the country bought a brand new German car in 2013?

One in ten of every man, woman and child? On average, three of my fife-year-old daughter's classmates bought themselves a BMW?

I see plenty of Renaults, Fiats, Toyotas, Minis, Land Rovers and even the odd Bentley. They all have to come from somewhere, too. But apparently, on average, six people on my street bought a brand new German car in 2013?

Not sure I buy that number.

Mayday: What Barnier’s words on Brexit mea[…]

SPOTY

Jim Davidson once described the Olympics as "[…]

Liz Jones

A calibrated (sic) attack on Jo Cox by a lady who […]

News you won't see on the BBC

Was chatting with an old friend today, and we wang[…]