:sunglasses: 28.6 % ❤ 14.3 % :grinning: 57.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Silkyman
Membership Days Posts
mr angry manchester wrote:What a choice!

I put Tories in four categories:

1, Tolerable, one nation types, pro Europe - not many now, Ken Clarke springs to mind

2, Obnoxious bastards - Tebbit is the obvious example

3. Oily bastards - Cecil Parkinson was probably the ultimate

4, Swivel eyed loons/weirdos/idealogues - Thatcher(although she was also in the obnoxious bastards group) - Gove, Rees Mogg

Cant figure out which to put Bojo in. Maybe he deserves a category of his own
'Fan theory' version JarJar Binks.

Bumbling buffoon, irritating and slightly racist but actually a scheming, evil Sith lord.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Byles! Dan Byles! Dan Byles, dammit!

In all seriousness, he had a tiny majority for his Nuneaton constituency and was conscious of it. When I was working for Warwickshire CC he contacted us demanding we reversed cuts to the local library service, only to be bluntly told that they had been approved by the Tory majority council acting on central government's orders. Never heard from him after that.

By Daley Mayle
La Truss was interviewed on BBC Breakfast this morning about the prison officers' strike and she was all over the place, if it hadn't been a light-weight Breakfast presenter asking the questions she would have been skewered.

One question I would have liked to have heard is, 'Since 2010 your government has cut PO staffing numbers by 7500 and reduced support for rehabilitation projects that appears to have worsened the current problems. Will reinstating 2500 of those posts make fuck all difference Mrs Truss?'
By Andy McDandy
Daley Mayle wrote:La Truss was interviewed on BBC Breakfast this morning about the prison officers' strike and she was all over the place, if it hadn't been a light-weight Breakfast presenter asking the questions she would have been skewered.

One question I would have liked to have heard is, 'Since 2010 your government has cut PO staffing numbers by 7500 and reduced support for rehabilitation projects that appears to have worsened the current problems. Will reinstating 2500 of those posts make fuck all difference Mrs Truss?'
In the halcyon days of the coalition (and believe me I never thought I'd be typing that) their tactic of sending someone on at times of a strike to just go "They're striking! Unions! Massive disruption! How dare they? Hardworking taxpayers!" - which was pretty ropey in itself - looks like genius tactics compared to Truss.
By visage
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:Byles! Dan Byles! Dan Byles, dammit!

In all seriousness, he had a tiny majority for his Nuneaton constituency and was conscious of it. When I was working for Warwickshire CC he contacted us demanding we reversed cuts to the local library service, only to be bluntly told that they had been approved by the Tory majority council acting on central government's orders. Never heard from him after that.
The thing is (and I appreciate I may get expelled from this forum for saying this), is that said MP may be entirely principled - his broad brush focus may render his loyalty to the tories, but his job is to often act in opposition.

Sadly the tribal nature of politics means that we cannot even support him in campaigns that are 'obviously' right. Better to go 'yer, but Tory government' than fight for local improvement. And then wonder why you're told to piss off when the next election comes around.
By Andy McDandy
Yes - to a point. Byles' concern was that library cuts impacted mainly on older people and parents of young children, two groups who tend to vote. He knew that every one of those votes (his majority was less than 100) mattered to him.

The thing was, people love the idea of cuts until they happen to them. I ran enough public consultations and meetings where people would be in support of an idea in principle, provided it impacted on somewhere/someone else. Nimbyism for sure, but bloody infuriating.

And the result of Nimbyism is an awful one, because it results in Nice Things for Nice Areas, because people who live in those areas know how to argue. They know how to lobby, to organise petitions, to make people take notice. So the problem, the cut, gets shifted a little further along. To the Not Nice Areas, where people either don't know how to fight their corner or are so browbeaten and resigned to losing that they don't bother. And then a demagogue comes along and promises that everything will be made right...

Which leads nicely back to Truss! Prison budgets have been stripped bare while populations have risen. Because, to quote Stephen King, when it comes to crime and punishment people only want 3 things - more guards, more walls and more bars. Argue all you like about rehabilitation but at the end of the day someone will counter with "Can't do the time, don't do the crime" or something about Playstations. Truss isn't majorly responsible for this mess - that's down to Gove and primarily Grayling - but what is apparent is that she has no answers. She has kept moving this problem further and further on down the line, and now it's in a figurative Cleethorpes and she's got nowhere else to go with it but backwards. And she's not going to do that.
By Andy McDandy
As long as they didn't spoil the view and were somewhere remote and out of the way. Like Cleethorpes.

But in all seriousness, yes. See the way some people respond whenever a former convict is invited onto a discussion thing to give their views on prisons - utter outrage. "How dare you give this person airtime when he's done nothing to deserve it, I've never committed a crime so why don't I get asked for my views?" foamed one funt with no self-awareness on the Whine show a few years ago, despite the ex-con guest in question being completely reformed and highly regretful of his past, and ol' Jezza stressing that the guy was receiving no fee for appearing. There are plenty of people out there who think that prison should be a black hole - chuck 'em in and throw away the key.

Of course, they're fully confident that neither they nor anyone they know will ever be sent down.
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]