•  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:37 pm
Thanks for clarifying that, Malc.
I'm ready to be contradicted (I'm away from my copy of Erskine May) but that's the usual logic. The committee speaks for the main body, so logically their interlocutor speaks to the main body. Whether or not there's some arcane rule about being at the dispatch box, or holding the number 10 cat I don't know.

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:43 pm
I'm ready to be contradicted (I'm away from my copy of Erskine May) but that's the usual logic. The committee speaks for the main body, so logically their interlocutor speaks to the main body. Whether or not there's some arcane rule about being at the dispatch box, or holding the number 10 cat I don't know.
I thought the specific rule was that you misled the House, therefore had to be at the dispatch box to do it but more to the point, that it was a wilful act. However, I am no great student of Parliament and I certainly don't have a copy of Erskine May at home. Books on the LNER and the PAL system yes, but they are of no use here!

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's not Erskine May, but this seems to answer the question:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -committee
What are the legal implications of lying to a select committee?
Imprisonment or a substantial fine could theoretically be imposed as a punishment by parliament on anyone who told lies in evidence to a select committee. Misleading MPs is deemed to amount to a "contempt of the house" in the same way that refusing to answer a summons to appear before a committee is reported to the Commons. The offender would be summoned to the bar of the house.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
She's now claiming she hadn't read the memo, which is just an additional claim that she had no control over her department. Someone must have read it, but either didn't notice the unauthorised targets or give her the "good" news that the targets had been exceeded.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
Did anyone catch Gove on the Today programme this morning, summarised here:
Backing Rudd’s own claims on Twitter that she had simply missed the document, Gove said: “What we are witnessing is an example of government not functioning as it should have done, and that’s something for which the home secretary has taken responsibility.

“There does seem to be a series of leaks, or sharing with the Guardian in particular, that is designed to serve a particular agenda … There’s a campaign against the government and against the home secretary. What’s not surprising is that this happens at the same time as the Labour party is mired in allegations of it’s failure to deal with antisemitism.”

“This is about politics,” Gove said. “And the focus on whether or not a particular document that was cc’d to a particular address was then put in a particular box at a particular time – and we know it wasn’t – is intended to distract from the difficulties that the Labour party faces with handling prejudice in its own ranks.”

“Labour are attempting to weaponise this. I think that is quite wrong.”

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Her claim was nonsense anyway. Why should the Home Office be unique in not having targets? I had to meet loads before retiring from HMRC 12 years ago. There are targets for sanctioning benefit claimants. Targets for how long people have to wait in A&E. The list is endless.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
High court blocks Amber Rudd attempt to deport witness

Jamaican Andrew Van Horn ‘may well be required to give evidence’ over death at Morton Hall immigration removal centre
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... high-court
The Northern Irish thread

Ooof. That's pretty big.

Meanwhile in America

About bloody time this law was challenged properly[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

I grew up pretty close to Moygashel myself. As a l[…]

Labour, Generally.

I'm sure the less well of Brexiters of Great Yarmo[…]