•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
TBH I would argue of the three today (Rudd, Bradley and Loathsome) Rudd's was the least offensive. However one suspects that as someone who is a soft Brexit advocate she'll be the run attacked in the press.
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Given her age, she's not even of the generation that grew up with 'coloured' and had to be educated out of it. Was she going for 'people of colour' and had a brainfart? At least she gave a straight apology, not a 'sorry if you were offended'.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Daley Mayle
When I was a teenager back in the 60s to refer to someone as 'black' was considered to be offensive and 'being personal' and to use the word 'coloured' instead. The opposite is now true. To refer to a non-white as 'a person of colour' seems to me to be patronising. I'll make a bet that I won't live to see whether it's true or not but in 50 years time what is currently acceptable will be offensive again.

It's acceptable to call someone who originates from China or India or Bangladesh as Chinese/Indian/Bangladeshi so why can't we use the term African when we refer to someone who has that heritage? The Americans have managed to tiptoe throught that particular minefield by adopting 'African American' etc.

By cycloon
'African' is far more general than 'Chinese' (even as ofc there is variety, particularly in China and India as I understand it).

Morcocco is not Mali is not Mozambique. It's literally true, and I'm sure is useful in certain contexts (as when people use 'European' to appeal to a particular sense of something, although this is obviously incredibly generic), and probably unhelpful in other contexts.

I think that's the key: as long as the language is used with thought, then that's more important than making an innocent slip up. Chances are most people won't mind anyway, I reckon.

I do not really get the distinction between coloured and people of colour. I assume it's because of historical usage and the adoption of the latter as a 'sanctioned' phrase, but the root logic seems identical. I know that's only part of any story like this, however.
Last edited by cycloon on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Yep, my late parents always thought 'coloured' was polite and 'black' rude. Probably because they'd heard "black bastard' as an insult and not 'coloured bastard'. The UK has moved to BME, or BAME (Black and Minority Ethnic) as a catch-all for ethnic minorities.

I think in the US it's now 'person of colour' - which is what I suspect Rudd was aiming for.

By Abernathy
It's probably a Tory thing. I sort of get the impression that the correct and polite way of referring to peoples' ethnicity either hasn't penetrated the Conservative party at every level or has been gratuitously dismissed as "PC gorn mad". Amber Rudd is perhaps not as immune to this as she should be, given that she is a professional politician.

Having said that, I do also think that Ms Abbott was a little ungracious not to acknowledge Rudd's supportive intent, as well as her immediate unconditional apology, in favour of instantly bashing her with the racist cane.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:07 am
It's probably a Tory thing. I sort of get the impression that the correct and polite way of referring to peoples' ethnicity either hasn't penetrated the Conservative party at every level or has been gratuitously dismissed as "PC gorn mad". Amber Rudd is perhaps not as immune to this as she should be, given that she is a professional politician.

Having said that, I do also think that Ms Abbott was a little ungracious not to acknowledge Rudd's supportive intent, as well as her immediate unconditional apology, in favour of instantly bashing her with the racist cane.
I've mentioned this before.
The "Hang Nelson Mandela" generation* are now the average age of Tory MPs.

* So extreme that Norman Tebbit felt the need to disband the Federation of Conservative Students.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
DWP Ordered To Review 'Outdated' Rules That Deny Terminally Ill Benefits

Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd says family illness prompted her to act over controversial benefit guidelines.[/size]
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... k-homepage
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]