•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Today I wish we could take a leaf from Douglas Adams.

Build a B-ark of our own.
Fill it with tabloid editors and columnists, tory donors, tax efficiency advisers, X-factor judges, dodgy serial entrepreneurs, holiday diarrhoea compensation touts....
Then sail it to whatever small desert island they've claimed to be "financially resident" on.
Let them life out their days there with seven records and a bust of Thatcher as their luxury item.

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
I've just spent the afternoon with the friends I mentioned earlier who had their six year old grandchild with them who for some bizarre reason thinks that I'm great.

He's a six year old who likes dinosaurs and enjoys kicking a football.

He's a six year old looking forward to the next Cars movie.

He's a six year old who thought I was fifty.

He's a six year old with an impressive talent for decorating gingerbread men.

He's a six year old who was telling me that he misses his pets as he's not allowed to take them to the hotel he's staying at in London.

He's a six year old who is having to stay in a hotel at the moment as his actual home is adjacent to Grenfell Tower.

He's a six year old who saw things a couple of weeks ago that I hope I never have to.

He's a six year old who explained that he couldn't get to his school at the moment because of all the policemen.

He's a six year old who said to me "I have friends in Grenfell Tower, and they're dead."

He's a six year old who said that he'd been up to the 18th floor before, but knew that if he'd been there, he'd be dead.

He's a six year old who explained how some of his friends were really happy to see him as they thought he was dead.

He's a six year old who says things like that and make you realise how lucky you are in life.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
There was a comment on the Andrew Marr show that was a bit disturbing. The residents of the Grenfell not only warned their landlord and local council about their concerns about fire safety but wanted to take legal action against them to get some judicial ruling. They couldn't because the Tories cut legal aid and the tenants could not afford to take such a course of action.

The poor do not have a voice.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote:Grenfell-style cladding not used on any council high-rises in Scotland

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1536 ... _Scotland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm just waiting for the Mailite Rage: Bloody Jocks with their free prescriptions, nuclear submarine bases and now flame-retardant cladding!!! AND WE PAY!!!

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
As 75 out of 75 tower blocks fail cladding safety tests, just HOW did so many buildings end up with death-trap insulation?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4l7zL4O7t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even the BBC is claiming this. Even though no dangerous cladding has been found on Scottish local authority tower blocks.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote: As 75 out of 75 tower blocks fail cladding safety tests, just HOW did so many buildings end up with death-trap insulation?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4l7zL4O7t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even the BBC is claiming this. Even though no dangerous cladding has been found on Scottish local authority tower blocks.
One wag has done a joke about elf n safety.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Proper English on view:
Can someone explain the fuss being made "We can't fixed the problem without everyone leaving" there isn't enough housing now, let alone trying to rehouse the hundreds which now will be displaced, the cladding was put up with people in the flats? its on the outside?? apart from noise I can see why people are reluctance to move, they will be wondering if they will ever come back.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
The Scottish angle - I didn't know this, so a good bit of background form the BBC.

How 1999 Scottish tower block fire led to regulation change

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40406057
The Northern Irish thread

Ooof. That's pretty big.

Meanwhile in America

About bloody time this law was challenged properly[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

I grew up pretty close to Moygashel myself. As a l[…]

Labour, Generally.

I'm sure the less well of Brexiters of Great Yarmo[…]