Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 37 % ❤ 3.7 % :thumbsup: 9.3 % :grinning: 44.4 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 3.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I wonder how he squares his religious and political sensibilities with the reality that "snowflakes" was a gay man's parodic interpretation of social pressures relating to the more toxic elements of masculinity. Y'know, with our Jake being so literary, carefully researched and intellectual, and not some soundbite politician playing to the gallery.

By Snowflake
A popular England football song, m'lud. Two world wars and one world cup. So by way of a cricket analogy and in the light of Mogg's comments I thought, one World Cup and two humiliating defeats by the Netherlands.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Were we fighting Holland? I'm pretty sure they were neutral - apart from Antony Fokker, of course. And granting Wilhelm II asylum.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:42 am
You'll need to explain that for me.
Cricket? It's quite simple, really -

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

See also:
Cricket is a little like baseball, but totally different in almost every way.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/crick ... en-cricket

By Malcolm Armsteen
Yes, yes, yes! I went to Grammar school! To a properly brought up Englishman it makes as much sense as anything else in this arse-filled country. But when were we at war with the Low Countries? (After 1648, obvs.) - 1784, I suppose. And a few bunfights against pro-Boney Dutch revolutionaries. But since then?

By Snowflake
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 am
Were we fighting Holland? I'm pretty sure they were neutral - apart from Antony Fokker, of course. And granting Wilhelm II asylum.

analogy
[əˈnalədʒi]

NOUN
a comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Are you sure you don't mean somewhere like Norway - we've had wars with them, but that was a while back. Or possibly Yorkshire? I'd support carpet-bombing Geoffrey Boycott.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Norway have played Scotland (and lost) but haven't played England since the cup semi-final at Stamford Bridge in 1066, when they lost by an innings and 74 earls.

England, of course, went on to lose the final.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Doesn’t cricket have Flemish origins?
Rees-Mogg is relaxed about colonial descendants playing cricket which taught fuzzy-wuzzy and Fenian natives about fair play. And that’s why those sneaky Continentals don’t play cricket as they never basked under the enlightened rays of British colonial rule.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
According to my Ladybird story of Cricket, cricket is derived from 'stool ball' - as you were, Abers - in which medieval types would attempt to swat away balls tossed at their three legged stools. Easy to envisage what sort of mess the Empire would have been trying to teach the natives a game derived from 'chairball', eh? Four stumps just wouldn't be...er, cricket.

For all the quaint traditions, it's quite a progressive sport though, they even have women's teams, like the MCCesses, the Lancashire Lasses and the Hampshire Handbags. Their husbands make the tea and keep score.

Ps. That wonderful documentary on Ladybird books should still be on BBC iPlayer, It was transmitted last week. A treat if you haven't seen it. A treat if you have.

We haven't even got a farkin' IKEA round here. […]

2019 General Election

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/119472996[…]

Caption Contest

Seen. I alays thought he was a good-lookin' sexy b[…]

Olden days were the best or summat...

My ex-girlfriend was two-timing me with Charlie Kr[…]