Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 38.2 % ❤ 3.6 % :thumbsup: 9.1 % :grinning: 43.6 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 3.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
While it is true that England is the home of cricket, what is less well known is that the sport originally found its way to England from Flanders. It was first brought over by Flemish weavers in the late middle ages.

At the time, the Flemish weavers apparently used their herding staffs as bats. The sport has obviously evolved since then, but the foundations were already laid back then.

Moreover, cricket is a Flemish word. The word originates from the expression 'met de krik ketsen', meaning 'chase with a curved stick'. https://focusonbelgium.be/en/facts/did- ... sh-weavers

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:20 pm
While it is true that England is the home of cricket, what is less well known is that the sport originally found its way to England from Flanders. It was first brought over by Flemish weavers in the late middle ages.

At the time, the Flemish weavers apparently used their herding staffs as bats. The sport has obviously evolved since then, but the foundations were already laid back then.

Moreover, cricket is a Flemish word. The word originates from the expression 'met de krik ketsen', meaning 'chase with a curved stick'. https://focusonbelgium.be/en/facts/did- ... sh-weavers
Not wishing to be picky, but it sounds a bit more like hockey to me

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:37 pm
Whatabout Lacrosse?
Knocked out a decent cookbook, I seem to recall.

No pictures, mind, not like Jamie's efforts.

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:37 pm
Whatabout Lacrosse?
Isn't that just hurling for cowards?

(Also, I reckon if Ireland gathered up the best 11 hurling goalkeepers in the country and have them wooly jumpers, they'd be a fucking terrifying cricket team)
The Brexit Party

White Fiat Uno by any chance?

2019 General Election

It's funny, but the other day I found myself looki[…]

The Ma*l in microcosm. This is why we are where we[…]

Meanwhile in America

'Murica. It isn't all mass-shootings. Florida Cou[…]