Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 33.3 % ❤ 3.9 % :thumbsup: 9.8 % :grinning: 47.1 % 😟 2 % :cry: 3.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Now we have Ree-Smug's style sheet, I'd like to see his instructions for boxes, what goes in, what the weekly deadlines are. From that you can see if he's prepared to do the graft.

By Abernathy
There is a lot to be said for style guides. I worked for five years as a constituency caseworker for an MP, and although she didn't put out a style guide, she had firm views on grammar, syntax, and style, including a slightly annoying insistence, shared with big Jacob, on two spaces after a full stop, which I eventually got used to.

Nowt wrong with Big Jacob's style guide.

By Boiler
A mate of mine does the double space thing. It drives me fucking nuts when I reply to his emails - we have proportional fonts now (although I can imagine some will always use plain text with monospaced fonts, as per RFC822).

I can see he's not a fan of the Oxford Comma either.

By Daley Mayle
From memory the double word space after a full stop was taught in secretarial schools where the girls (yes, they were almost exclusively female) were learning how to type on a manual typewriter. As every character on a manual typewriter shared the same width that extra space helped with reading.

Tell you what though, Word doesn't like it.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:17 pm
There is a lot to be said for style guides. I worked for five years as a constituency caseworker for an MP, and although she didn't put out a style guide, she had firm views on grammar, syntax, and style, including a slightly annoying insistence, shared with big Jacob, on two spaces after a full stop, which I eventually got used to.

Nowt wrong with Big Jacob's style guide.
Imperial units?

Will the Royal Artillery have to turn in its 105mm guns.
I'm sure the Horse Artillery's 13pdr saluting guns will show johnny Afghan who's boss.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:19 am
Will he allow decimal points, or must it all be fractions? Not vulgar fractions, obvs.
Decimal points allowed, but only if they have 2 spaces after them.

By Boiler
Ah... he doesn't like some of the words because they're "new Labour" words, apparently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49137619
In 2016, he said: "Appropriate, inappropriate, unacceptable and disappointing are those new Labour words that get dropped into conversations and they mean remarkably little or what, in a Humpty Dumptyish way, what the person hearing them wishes to think that they mean."

By Boiler
And nothing on the matter of British versus American billions? And are people really expected to write 42/125 rather than 0.336? I see Angela Rayner has attracted a lot of Moggies onto her Twitter feed on this matter... :(

By Malcolm Armsteen
Rees-Mogg is an absolute example of a narcissistic adult over-compensating due to having been bullied at school.
Boiler liked this
By Andy McDandy
I'd say he was the inevitable product of a system that teaches very little other than that those going through it are entitled to run things.
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]