•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
For someone apparently in touch with Labour Leave voters I thought Corbyn was unwise to bring up Patel and capital punishment at PMQs (She’s backtracked on her support anyway). Labour candidates can do without wasting time explaining on doorsteps why they’re against stringing up nonces.
Timbo liked this
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Amanda Patel gave her in depth analysis of Priti Patel in yesterday's Mail.
My friend Priti Patel has got the steel to tackle knife crime as Home Secretary
Critics of Priti Patel's appointment as Home Secretary seem less worried about her fervent Brexit views than her hard line on crime and punishment.

How could a woman who has supported the death penalty be fit for modern office? Well, perhaps Patel may be the answer to the soft justice now blighting our youth.

This week, a judge talked of knife crime being a 'cancer' that affects 'all spectrums of society' as he sentenced two schoolboys for their role in the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old scholarship pupil Yousef Makki.

One defendant, Boy A, plunged the knife into Yousef's heart. Cleared of murder and manslaughter after the jury accepted it was self-defence, he was given a 16-month jail sentence.
The other, Boy B, admitted buying two flick-knives over the internet from China, giving the lethal weapon to Boy A, and received four months.

As the judge rightly said, we are facing a knife crime epidemic — England and Wales hit a record of 43,000 stabbings last year and in London alone there have already been 78 knife deaths this year.

But if so, why give such paltry sentences? What kind of deterrent are they to any teenager considering getting a knife?

Just 16 months and four months for a young life? What kind of message does that send other kids browsing the internet, wondering if they'll buy a knife, too, for protection or because it makes them look 'streetwise'?

And let's not delude ourselves that this is a gang-related crime in a sink estate. All three of these lads were privately educated from respectable Manchester families. Yousef was a highly intelligent teenager whose dream was to be a heart surgeon.

As someone who's worked with Priti Patel on William Hague's team when he was Tory leader, I can tell you that she will be straining at the leash to tackle leniency over knife crime.

She's a tough customer, harder than steel — she's tungsten.

She is formidably organised, first in the office and last to leave, and often worked seven days a week. She is well-turned out, never self-pitying and driven by the core Tory values she developed working in her father's corner shops.

It is too late for Yousef but, perhaps with Priti Patel at the Home Office, other victims will see justice served.
So when she says 'friend' she actually means somebody she worked with 14 years ago. And the case she quotes really doesn't back up her argument. The two defendants had the best lawyers that money could buy which will have been a key factor in them avoiding guilty verdicts on the main charges and will have also impacted on the sentencing on the other charges. Is Priti Patel going to stop wealthy people having access to top lawyers in cases of knife crime?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
One defendant, Boy A, plunged the knife into Yousef's heart. Cleared of murder and manslaughter after the jury accepted it was self-defence, he was given a 16-month jail sentence.
I thought the Mail was obsessed with letting people off who kill people in self-defence.
She is well-turned out, never self-pitying
Unlike most of these darkies who have a chip on their shoulder, observes Platell.
Oblomov liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:45 pm
I'm still astonished that someone like Patel can be appointed Home Secretary in 2019.

She is simply appalling.
Mrs A is a woman of strong opinions, but I have never heard her speak with such contempt as she does of Patel. And indeed she is everything that a politician should not be, limited in intelligence, imagination and scope, crudely populist and able to change her principles at the drop of a promotion offer.
She tailors her schtick to appeal to the lowest denominators of society, and she has the integrity and moral compass of a polecat.

That wasn't quite what Mrs A said. She used that word I'm not allowed to say in the house.

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Mrs A is a woman of strong opinions, but I have never heard her speak with such contempt as she does of Patel. And indeed she is everything that a politician should not be, limited in intelligence, imagination and scope, crudely populist and able to change her principles at the drop of a promotion offer.
She tailors her schtick to appeal to the lowest denominators of society, and she has the integrity and moral compass of a polecat.

That wasn't quite what Mrs A said. She used that word I'm not allowed to say in the house.
Would it, perchance, be the word that 'Berkeley Hunt' covers for in rhyming slang?

I often point out that 'berk' isn't quite the mild-mannered curse people think it is.
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]