Discussion of the UK Government
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
There is no Brexit Dividend so where's the money going to come from?

What's the chances Phil Hammond will have another go at increasing NI contributions from the self-employed? I was SE for forty-odd years and from memory I paid a monthly 'stamp' and my accountants would work out an additional contribution as a percentage of my profits.

There are some accountants on here and it would be interesting to hear from them how an increase in contribution could be achieved without the Sun et al having conniptions over hitting the White Van Man (salt of the earth geezer/ette) in the pocket. It's a cheap and easy way of raising money.

Or why not raise VAT? It's 23% in Ireland. In 2010 the Tories said they has 'no plans' to raise VAT from 17.5% and they did just that.

There are rumblings about making the retired pay NI contributions.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Raising taxes, especially on those able to pay more, in order to fund the health service should be a routine and uncontroversial matter. In somewhere like, say, Sweden, it wouldn't raise a single eyebrow because it is self-evidently the right thing to do in a wealthy first world economy.

That the mere prospect is causing such a flap here in the UK represents a damning indictment of what a mean, pinched and nasty society we have become. And it is, of course, sickening.

Which has what to do with your claim that &quo[…]

Labour MPs I'd like to hit with a haddock

The Tories are paralysed by indecision and are u[…]

Labour, Generally.

The fact that corbyn has shown he's far further […]

The Mail & Climate Change

The sort of people who are frightened by a littl[…]