•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:34 pm
If Johnson was incapacitated for some time I think the Murdoch mafia would want their man Gove in the driving seat rather than Raab or Hancock.
Despite all his cunning, Gove has the misfortune to resemble many people's image of a nonce.

He's also pretty weak on rhetoric, and liable to be handed his own liver by Starmer in any straight up debate.
Timbo, Oblomov liked this

By Oblomov
Bones McCoy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:13 pm
satnav wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:34 pm
If Johnson was incapacitated for some time I think the Murdoch mafia would want their man Gove in the driving seat rather than Raab or Hancock.
Despite all his cunning, Gove has the misfortune to resemble many people's image of a nonce.

He's also pretty weak on rhetoric, and liable to be handed his own liver by Starmer in any straight up debate.
Murdoch will have a hell of a job spinning Gove into something electable, I've no idea what trait of his you could even promote. Being a sensible moderate perhaps? But even that is laughable compared to Starmer.

Hancock may fancy himself but if he had any credit/excuses at the start of this pandemic, they long evaporated the moment he was smirking about some appalling statistic on a live TV interview. I doubt he'll be detoxified enough before 2030.

I get that machismo strongman vibe from Raab, which they may well fancy putting forward after Bumbling Boris' Buffoonery and inability to control anything without looking like an insecure toddler.

By crabcakes_windermere
Gove has tried twice and failed miserably both times, because even his fellow Tories loathe him. I can see Raab being a popular choice with sponsors simply because Sunak is the only one who seems to have any sort of skill at all, but rather dangerously seems to be capable of thinking for himself.

By Malcolm Armsteen
The (slightly) fuller story:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/m ... me-thrones
Asked on talkRadio whether – like the Premier League football players before their first lockdown matches last night – he would take a knee in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement, Raab rambled:

“Do you know what? I understand this sense of frustration and restlessness which is driving the Black Lives Matters movement. I’ve got to say on this ‘taking the knee’ thing, which, I don’t know, maybe it’s got a broader history, but it seems to be taken from the Game of Thrones, feels to me like a symbol of subjugation and subordination, rather than one of liberation and emancipation. But I understand people feel differently about it, so it’s a matter of personal choice.”
When presenter Julia Hartley-Brewer [yes, her]pushed him on whether he’d do it himself, Raab replied:

“I take the knee for two people: the Queen and the missus when I asked her to marry me… by the way, she disputes that. I had this conversation with her last night – I’m sure I did but we’d obviously had too much champagne at the time but I’m certain I did.”

Simpering, blind patriotism with a comforting dash of patriarchy: the perfect response.
Strange that the UK’s Foreign Secretary is more up on a fantasy TV series than the biggest international story of the moment – and his throwaway comment about his wife shows that he had been prepping answers to questions about taking a knee, but even then didn’t think to look it up.

By Oblomov
I didn't realise it went as far back as that, I thought it was Colin Kapernick's refusal to stand for the national anthem before NFL games gave the act its prominence. I suppose the next step would have been asking specifically why he was kneeling instead of lounging Rees-Mogg across a chez-lounge.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
It's bad enough that the Foreign Secretary has no understanding of "taking the knee", but then to be so crass as to consider it something to be treated as "something the black chappies seem to like doing" beggars belief

By Abernathy
O'Brien this morning briefly considered the theory that Raaaaab was doing it deliberately to try and start another distracting culture war, but then swiftly revised his conclusion to one that says Raaaab really is as thick as the proverbial whale sandwich.

By davidjay
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 pm
The (slightly) fuller story:

When presenter Julia Hartley-Brewer [yes, her]pushed him on whether he’d do it himself, Raab replied:

“I take the knee for two people: the Queen and the missus when I asked her to marry me… by the way, she disputes that. I had this conversation with her last night – I’m sure I did but we’d obviously had too much champagne at the time but I’m certain I did.”

Simpering, blind patriotism with a comforting dash of patriarchy: the perfect response.
Isn't that whole "I only kneel for the queen and the missus" thing a twist on the All Lives Matter meme that's become shorthand for ignorant racist twat?

By Andy McDandy
Remember the election debates? In the wake of the Prince Andrew/Emily Matlis interview, Corbyn and Johnson were asked about their opinions of the royal family. Corbyn said that some changes could be made. Johnson said that they were beyond reproach. Given the way many see an attack on the royals as an attack on the country (unless of course it's them doing it), it may well be that Raaaaaaaab is trying something similar. Doesn't mean he isn't thick though.
Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

US election 2020

The Governor of Iowa isn't up for re-election this[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]

The Trump Presidency

Ouch. END OUR NATIONAL CRISIS The Case Again[…]