•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:03 pm
It's an odd one, because if he's doing "look what happens when you let one of them get in charge", he's targeting people who will turn on him in an instant.
You could say that he's appealing to the Dacre/Stephen Lawrence line - "I can't be a racist - look, I support a black man".

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:He's not going to get into power, so he probably won't come too much into conflict with that sort. I was thinking he might not even get a safe seat after this, but then I remembered Joy Morrissey got Beaconsfield.
Yebbut, from a rank and file Tory viewpoint Joy Morrissey has one massive advantage over Shaun Bailey - she' not black.

By Tubby Isaacs
youngian wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:51 pm
No Tory back up for Bailey’s gaffe. If I was in an alleged centre-right party I wouldn’t abandon London on a punt of retaining Bolsover to stay in power.
He's got some "lockdown sceptic" going on, but that's not a very popular position. And who on earth sees football crowds as a priority? Most people who want more freedom to go down the pub or whatever know potential superspreader events when they see them.

By Tubby Isaacs
Thinking more generally about these mayor positions. It was seen as a big weakness for London not to have somebody you call when you "want to speak to London", in the way you can with US and French mayors. That seems to have worked pretty well. So don't the opposition need a proper shadow? But the Tories don't have anything really comparable to leader of the opposition, like they have in Wales and Scotland. It needn't be somebody in the London Assembly necessarily, an MP or Peer or ambitious council leader would do as well.
By mattomac
Have to be someone in Wandsworth or Kensington and the latter is best none really called on due to Grenfell.

I think that might start to become apparent in Manchester and Liverpool. Burnham has impressed me this last week.

As for football stadiums.... no one just apparently shows up in their seat and stays there then magically disappears.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:14 pm
Thinking more generally about these mayor positions. It was seen as a big weakness for London not to have somebody you call when you "want to speak to London", in the way you can with US and French mayors. That seems to have worked pretty well. So don't the opposition need a proper shadow? But the Tories don't have anything really comparable to leader of the opposition, like they have in Wales and Scotland. It needn't be somebody in the London Assembly necessarily, an MP or Peer or ambitious council leader would do as well.
Livingstone never wanted to be an executive mayor but the leader of the largest party becoming the mayor. And this model provides an opposition shadow mayor. Blair believed with a great deal of evidence that local government was moribund and mayors could rebuild a civic link with voters. Has it increased voter turnout? There seems to be more competent mayors than bad ones but that’s partly good luck. Corbyn has been very good for Labour’s mayoral reputation due to competent politicians not wanting to work for them. Its harder for Tories in a similar position as they don’t control sizeable metropolitan areas. I doubt Rory Stewart will stand for Mayor of Guildford to get back on the horse.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
But but but the Chinese government are people and there in beijing so logic diktaets Kahn loves genocide and why isn't he opening the football stadiums and curing cancer,?

Kahn out.

Baley for lundun now!
Labour, Generally.

I see someone's let Len out again https://twitter[…]

US election 2020

'misallocated' is doing a lot of heavy lifting in […]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]