By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Oblomov wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:00 pm
spoonman wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:42 pm
Francois is one of those very exceptional cases where you can say without guilt "He wasn't bullied enough at school".
Saw someone elsewhere describe Francois as "a Fray Bentos pie that gained sentience." :lol:
You mean, looks okay when it comes out the oven but then you realise it's a horrid soggy wet mushy mess inside with a minimal amount of filling?
The contrast being that Francois is completely full of shit.

By Malcolm Armsteen
They're not really pies; they are a casserole with a pastry lid, as opposed to say a Pukka Pie, which is a proper pie. The filling is the same as we used to get in tinned beef casserole, with quite a lot of thick gravy and quite not a lot of meat. The pastry is flaky, OK on top, but tends not to cook on the bottom.

My father in law (on his own, in his 80s) used to steam one over a pan of potatoes and chuck away the lid.

By davidjay
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:02 pm
They're not really pies; they are a casserole with a pastry lid, as opposed to say a Pukka Pie, which is a proper pie. The filling is the same as we used to get in tinned beef casserole, with quite a lot of thick gravy and quite not a lot of meat. The pastry is flaky, OK on top, but tends not to cook on the bottom.

My father in law (on his own, in his 80s) used to steam one over a pan of potatoes and chuck away the lid.
I've just had a Pukka pie for dinner, and very nice it was. Chicken & mushroom, if you're interested.

By Kreuzberger
davidjay wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:49 pm
I don't like gravy and I'm not too keen on mash, unless it's with sausages and made with wholegrain mustard.
Good save, there! (Close...)

By Kreuzberger
Boiler wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:23 pm
(creeps gently out of bunker, looks round nervously...)
Quite right. A Mailwatch pile-on ain't pretty...

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:37 pm
A "Never Seen Star Wars" moment, I don't think I've ever eaten a Fray Bentos meat pie.
I was surprised to find Fray Bentos is a city in Uruguay. Visitors to the UK before the inter web must have kept an atlas handy in case people thought they were taking the Michael.

By Bones McCoy
youngian wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 am
oboogie wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:37 pm
A "Never Seen Star Wars" moment, I don't think I've ever eaten a Fray Bentos meat pie.
I was surprised to find Fray Bentos is a city in Uruguay. Visitors to the UK before the inter web must have kept an atlas handy in case people thought they were taking the Michael.
It makes sense when you know the city was a major port and had a massive meatpacking industrial sector.
Corned beef and pies are the best known products today.
Part of the old meatpacking sector is now preserved as a UNESCO world heritage site.
Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

US election 2020

The Governor of Iowa isn't up for re-election this[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]

The Trump Presidency

Ouch. END OUR NATIONAL CRISIS The Case Again[…]