•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By karlt
Membership Days
Arrowhead wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:31 am
Seems that the LD’s have taken this seat by a margin of around 1,400 or so votes.

A better than expected showing for the Tories, although this period is probably (hopefully!) the peak of the so-called “Boris Bounce”.
I find it profoundly disturbing that 12000 people saw fit to vote for a crook.

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
karlt wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 am
Bizarre, isn't it? It looks as if his much-vaunted "local popularity" was actually a thing after all.

By Killer Whale
I've spoken to a couple of people from over on the dark side of the border, including one that was at the count, and they're saying that this was taken over the line by practically all of the Labour and Plaid votes in the Swansea Valley part of the constituency going Lib Dem. No evidence whatsoever of big Valleys Brexit vote there, which is interesting.

Also, UKIP beaten by the Loonies. Can they go away now, please.

Finally, on the Brexit alliance thing and people adding the Tory and Brexit party vote together, the thing is, the whole reason we're in such a mess is that you can't just add Brexit votes together. BXP has come out as solidly no deal. The Tories have a significant number of 'Remain is better than No Deal' members and particularly MPs. There's no coalition there. At all. You'd be more likely to see significant numbers of remainers peel away if offered Norway/EFTA (Plaid's position immediately after the referendum, co-incidentally) than any agreement amongst Brexiteers.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Killer Whale wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:20 pm
I've spoken to a couple of people from over on the dark side of the border, including one that was at the count, and they're saying that this was taken over the line by practically all of the Labour and Plaid votes in the Swansea Valley part of the constituency going Lib Dem. No evidence whatsoever of big Valleys Brexit vote there, which is interesting.

Also, UKIP beaten by the Loonies. Can they go away now, please.

Finally, on the Brexit alliance thing and people adding the Tory and Brexit party vote together, the thing is, the whole reason we're in such a mess is that you can't just add Brexit votes together. BXP has come out as solidly no deal. The Tories have a significant number of 'Remain is better than No Deal' members and particularly MPs. There's no coalition there. At all. You'd be more likely to see significant numbers of remainers peel away if offered Norway/EFTA (Plaid's position immediately after the referendum, co-incidentally) than any agreement amongst Brexiteers.
That's interesting and heartening. The Brexit Party voters showed up in the Valleys in the Euros, so I was worried. But that's a single issue election on literally their signature issue.

By davidjay
karlt wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 am
Arrowhead wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:31 am
Seems that the LD’s have taken this seat by a margin of around 1,400 or so votes.

A better than expected showing for the Tories, although this period is probably (hopefully!) the peak of the so-called “Boris Bounce”.
If Brexit Ltd hadn't stood, or if Plaid had, he'd probably have won.

By Snowflake
Boris Johnson is under pressure to consider pact with Brexit Party as Tories crash to defeat in Brecon by-election after Nigel Farage's party splits the Leave vote - slashing PM's Commons majority to just ONE

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... efeat.html

Right on fucking cue.
Boiler liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Did Farage standing down for ERG loons make much difference in 2017? Most of them are in safe Tory seats and it didn't help Stewart Jackson in marginal Peterborough. A formal alliance with Farage sounds a very foolish move for the Tories. Farage's approval ratings are worse than Corbyn's. And doesn't Cummings think Farage is poison and a twat? Another Brexiter bun fight on its way.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Snowflake wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:53 pm
Boris Johnson is under pressure to consider pact with Brexit Party as Tories crash to defeat in Brecon by-election after Nigel Farage's party splits the Leave vote - slashing PM's Commons majority to just ONE

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... efeat.html

Right on fucking cue.
The comments - fucking unhinged.

By Malcolm Armsteen
cOnfucius (can't punctuate or spell, natch) inadvertently advises Boris to hide his toast:
C0nfucius, Tethers End, United Kingdom, 31 minutes ago

A coalition with the Brexit parties is the only solution Boris. This will show you mean business. Put party loyalty on the back bench for this one. If not your toast.
His toast may well be the Labour party
Erasmus chuckabutty, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, about an hour ago

If there is an election, I predict the leave voters will be split and Farage will unwittingly let the Lib Dems in to number 10. ALL Remoaners will vote for them to stop Brexit' because Labour is toast.
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]