Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 50 % :thumbsup: 25 % :grinning: 12.5 % :cry: 12.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Swinson has done a poor job so far wooing left-of-centre tactical voters that she needs in the Tory held marginals that overwhelmingly dominate the LD target list. They could do well in Scotland as the main unionist party not run by nutters. And I suspect Johnson is a bigger deal breaker for wavering Tory Remainers to defect than Brexit.

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:17 am
Swinson has done a poor job so far wooing left-of-centre tactical voters that she needs in the Tory held marginals that overwhelmingly dominate the LD target list. They could do well in Scotland as the main unionist party not run by nutters. And I suspect Johnson is a bigger deal breaker for wavering Tory Remainers to defect than Brexit.
Good call re the LD prospects in Scotland. I know Ian Blackford has been one of the more impressive performers in the Commons in recent times, but I can certainly see a rejuvenated LD taking back that particular seat, which of course used to be Charles Kennedy’s until 2015. After all, being a skilled parliamentarian didn’t save Angus Robertson two years later.

I think the main issue with Scottish Labour right now isn’t so much of it being run by nutters, more that Richard Leonard seems to be almost completely anonymous. At least Jim Murphy and Kezia Dugdale rattled a few cages occasionally.

By Bones McCoy
Arrowhead wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:43 pm
youngian wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:17 am
Good call re the LD prospects in Scotland. I know Ian Blackford has been one of the more impressive performers in the Commons in recent times, but I can certainly see a rejuvenated LD taking back that particular seat, which of course used to be Charles Kennedy’s until 2015. After all, being a skilled parliamentarian didn’t save Angus Robertson two years later.

I think the main issue with Scottish Labour right now isn’t so much of it being run by nutters, more that Richard Leonard seems to be almost completely anonymous. At least Jim Murphy and Kezia Dugdale rattled a few cages occasionally.
Charles Kennedy's early demise is one of Scottish politics' great losses.
Not quite John Smith level, but close.
Arrowhead, Timbo liked this

By Arrowhead
Another hellscape of a poll from Opinium tonight. A fifteen percent Tory lead is bad enough to digest, but what on earth have the LD's done over the course of the past seven days to merit such a sharp drop in their support?

By Snowflake
It's possible that opting for a straight revocation of article 50 may now be beginning to work against them after all, but the big question is how many of their defectors are likely to retain their seats at the GE. I think it would be wise for Swinson not to get too carried away at this stage.
Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

US election 2020

The Governor of Iowa isn't up for re-election this[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]

The Trump Presidency

Ouch. END OUR NATIONAL CRISIS The Case Again[…]