•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
In my opinion, there is a very real possibility of this scenario playing out over the coming days

I think that's Johnson's best option as well. Even if the LDs become power brokers he'll regretably offer to let the people decide as this was the verdict the voters delievered in order to stop crazy Marxist Corbyn. Or some such guff to retain the crown with LD supply support.

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Another potential scenario about to be played out. The problem, from a Tory perspective, with this one is that it means they will then be facing the full wrath of the incandescent No Deal fruitcake loons at the next election, almost all of whom will by then have coalesced under the Farage banner.

By Arrowhead
Tonight we have the first major opinion poll since Johnson became leader. Bad, but by no means disastrous given a modest uplift in the Labour share as well.

I believe another couple of polls are due to be published later this evening.

By Arrowhead
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:56 pm
I think that's ominous. Johnson has a month of announcing how he's going to chuck money about, then Parliament blocks No Deal, then there's an extension with an election.
The other two polls tonight we more worrisome, especially YouGov giving the Tories a ten per cent lead over Labour. Although personally I take any Westminster poll putting Labour as low as 21% with a pinch of salt.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Yeah, that's too low for Labour. See Peterborough, for example.

But there could be a pattern emerging- Hard Brexit v Remain Alliance v Labour. I don't think Labour comes first in that situation, if Johnson is chucking money about. Last time May didn't seem to be offering anything.

By Arrowhead
There you have it, folks. Johnson considering plans to go Full Trump and stage a "The People vs The Politicians" GE if faced with a confidence vote.

Last edited by Arrowhead on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Arrowhead
Abernathy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:10 pm
How does a "People vs Politicians" election work?
You can imagine the sort of populist, nationalistic rhetoric which would be adopted in no time at all:

"Let's make Britain Great again!"
"Help us deliver a Great British Brexit!"
"Of course the pound is plunging - the markets are imaging another Labour government!"

And of course, more Union Jacks than you could shake a shitty stick at.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
As noted elsewhere on this august forum, they're already setting up a bogeyman.

Blaming Leo Varadkar for no deal is bizarre – even for Britain’s media
Roy Greenslade
The Telegraph and Sun are making ludicrous claims to make the Irish taoiseach the Brexit bogeyman

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ach-brexit

By davidjay
Abernathy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:10 pm
How does a "People vs Politicians" election work?

Who do you vote for if you're supporting the people? Errrrr... politicians ?
An Old Etonian who's managed to convince swathes of working-class voters that he's on their side won't have much difficulty in persuading them that he's not a proper politician.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
I sometimes get the feeling that Bannon, and those of his ilk, are now using UK as some form of Petrie dish experiment to see what Trump could, or could not get away with in campaigning. Because, at the end of the day, the real power lies in manipulating a useful idiot who is POTUS, rather than one who is PM of some insignificant island with no real influence
Abernathy, spoonman liked this
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

That stat about Norfolk would have been a damned s[…]

Labour, Generally.

I'm currently sitting in a composite meeting on […]

Boris Johnson

porking on the public purse Now there's a tu[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

How's Milne operating him in that photo? Liza[…]