•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Watchman wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:36 am
I sometimes get the feeling that Bannon, and those of his ilk, are now using UK as some form of Petrie dish experiment to see what Trump could, or could not get away with in campaigning. Because, at the end of the day, the real power lies in manipulating a useful idiot who is POTUS, rather than one who is PM of some insignificant island with no real influence
You may well be right. A few years ago, when asked about his favoured strategies, Bannon responded that the first thing he likes to ensure is to "flood the arena full of shit" beforehand. That certainly feels like what is happening in the UK right now.
By mattomac
The assumption of a successful election post "No Deal" ignores every contingency plan going that will be put in place to make sure the country doesn't slide off the edge.

A "No Deal" Brexit will be a horror show, holding an election in the aftermath of that and running as the party that delivered that will be destroy them.

By Boiler
You're not taking into account the "I don't care" / "FWEEEEEDOM!!!!!" brigade though who'll vote Tory both to thank them and are convinced that Corbyn will slaughter their first born.

Shit sandwich? I'll have mustard and onions with that, ta.
Arrowhead liked this

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
That's a good point. Any Election held in the first couple of weeks of November will still be affected by the euphoric dim dancing a jig if we leave when we're due to. It'll be "Hurrah for Boris" overload

Leave it to early 2020, especially if it's a bitter winter and Christmas has basically been a complete fiasco due to Brexit, and the natives won't be happy.

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 pm
Who's kidding who? The back half of October will be fucking mayhem. KFC and the DHL fiasco, anyone?
Something tells me - dunno what - but I really don't believe the apocalypse is coming. However, I have been checking the dates on the tins and packets in my "war cupboard" recently.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
mattomac wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:41 pm
The economy is one step from a recession, it will hit straight away.
If the falling Pound stokes inflation than the BoE could be forced to raise interest rates in a recession. Or abolish the targets and move back to an era of stagflation.

By Arrowhead
All good stuff, but I can't help but think that there are certain seats where they would be better off just letting Labour get on with things. Putting a Remain Alliance candidate up against, for example, Amber Rudd in Hastings and Rye will just muddy the waters. Other prime examples would be Chingford and Woodford Green (Iain Duncan Smith‎), Wycombe (Steve Baker) and, of course, Uxbridge and South Ruislip (you-know-who). The Lib Dems & Greens are nowhere in those seats whatsoever, and only Labour would stand realistic chances there.

I suppose it depends on whether the Remain Alliance is ostensibly anti-No Deal, in which case they need to be careful with their Labour targets, or more widely anti-Brexit in all circumstances.

It'd be typical of our times if conference finally forces Corbyn to unequivocally back a People's Vote, only for Labour to find themselves being challenged by Remain Alliance candidates in scores of seats all over the country.
Schmee liked this

By Snowflake
Rebecca Long-Bailey on Sky News this morning made it clear that an interim Corbyn lead government would not seek to implement Labour policy, but simply seek an extension to Article 50 and call a general election. Problem being a general election would not resolve Brexit, my guess is it would simply leave us in pretty much the same place possibly with an improved Lib Dems holding the balance of power.

One thing is certain though, something does need to be agreed by the opposition parties and quickly.
Schmee liked this
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]