Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 53.6 % ❤ 2.1 % :thumbsup: 5.7 % 😯 3.6 % :grinning: 28.6 % 🙏 2.1 % 😟 1.4 % :cry: 2.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Classic Dom:
Sabisky row: Dominic Cummings criticised over 'designer babies' post

Boris Johnson’s senior aide Dominic Cummings has been dragged further into the row over No 10’s decision to hire an adviser with eugenicist views after it emerged that he suggested in his own writings that the NHS should cover the cost of selecting babies to have higher IQs.

In a blogpost covering his views on the future of “designer babies”, Cummings said he believed rich would-be parents would inevitably select embryos with “the highest prediction for IQ” and floated the idea that “a national health system should fund everybody to do this” to avoid an unfair advantage for the wealthy.

Experts criticised Cummings’s theories about genetics, saying they were unworkable, unethical and amounted to eugenics, two days after Andrew Sabisky resigned as a No 10 contractor over his past claims that black Americans on average had lower IQs than white people.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Samanfur wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:24 pm
Classic Dom:
Sabisky row: Dominic Cummings criticised over 'designer babies' post

Boris Johnson’s senior aide Dominic Cummings has been dragged further into the row over No 10’s decision to hire an adviser with eugenicist views after it emerged that he suggested in his own writings that the NHS should cover the cost of selecting babies to have higher IQs.

In a blogpost covering his views on the future of “designer babies”, Cummings said he believed rich would-be parents would inevitably select embryos with “the highest prediction for IQ” and floated the idea that “a national health system should fund everybody to do this” to avoid an unfair advantage for the wealthy.

Experts criticised Cummings’s theories about genetics, saying they were unworkable, unethical and amounted to eugenics, two days after Andrew Sabisky resigned as a No 10 contractor over his past claims that black Americans on average had lower IQs than white people.
Dom's mad for it.

Gove's SPAD when they tried to stick Toby "Ubermench" Young in some nicely paid non-job.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:34 pm
I wonder how much of the Free Schools programme was about inherited intelligence bollocks?
Occam suggests it was simply about looting public assets.

By Tubby Isaacs
I recall Cummings was very sanguine about free schools failing for the greater good of the policy, which was nice of him. Wonder how sanguine he was when Nicky Morgan shut down Durham Free School.

Free schools have disappeared off the radar somewhat, but I see a load of them are still stuck in "pop up" premises, and indeed being shut down for lack of prospect of getting anywhere permanent and suitable. I'm actually surprised that they didn't get money chucked at them by the government. I guess Spaffer will put that right.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:59 pm
I recall Cummings was very sanguine about free schools failing for the greater good of the policy, which was nice of him. Wonder how sanguine he was when Nicky Morgan shut down Durham Free School.

Free schools have disappeared off the radar somewhat, but I see a load of them are still stuck in "pop up" premises, and indeed being shut down for lack of prospect of getting anywhere permanent and suitable. I'm actually surprised that they didn't get money chucked at them by the government. I guess Spaffer will put that right.
I'm sure there's a dependable cashflow keeping their founders from penury.

By Andy McDandy
Aside from the appropriation of resources, I saw free schools as an update of that attitude expressed in the general strike, where public schoolboys would play at being a milkman or whatever for a few days. That, lazy entitlement, and trying to get an exclusive* education on the cheap.

*Note that I don't say good. Quality was always second place to keeping the undesirables out.
youngian liked this

By The Red Arrow
Just been perusing that. Causing a kerfuffle. Some interesting theories as to motives and timing - apart from the screamingly obvious Cummings is a psychopath deserving of a place on the public protection register.

By Arrowhead
The Tories will be shot of him soon enough. He delivered victory at GE2019 but has already outlived his usefulness to them, indeed it looks like they’ve got the perfect excuse to sling him on the scrap heap now - a bit like he himself did to Soames, Rudd, Stewart etc last year.

Whoever it was who dubbed him a career psychopath was actually understating his character. A genuinely malign individual in an administration full of them.

By Boiler
I've seen people say "Cummings will be thrown under the bus". I hope that is literal rather than metaphorical, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a mountain of dirt on the Tories just in case.
Oblomov liked this
Piers Morgan

GMB is on ITV. They only made one fine comedy Ri[…]

Boris Johnson

C) He'll clutch at any straw which might provide a[…]

Andrea Leadsom

Fair point well made, both

Meanwhile in America

Bearing in mind that the U.S. police seem to be on[…]