Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 42.4 % :thumbsup: 24.2 % 😯 3 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 6.1 % :cry: 6.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
PCs, including laptops, create a barrier. Folders don't, so much. It's seen as more natural, more organic. I was told this by my brother's partner, who's a social worker. That, she said, is the reason why so many social workers carry around a suitcase/basket on wheels for all their files*.

*Additionally, it's a subtle way of saying "look how much work I have to do", and the other thing is that for a lot of people, entering info onto a device can be upsetting - "what are they using it for, who are they sharing it with?". Whereas pen and paper looks more honest and simple.
youngian liked this
He says he's sorry. Apparently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53815089

I think one of our regulars on here summed up well what it would take to get a Tory to resign these days over on Fenton's blog.
Niall Paterson* on Sky News has just taken him apart. Great job, Williamson having a plane crash. He really is as useless as he looks, he can't last the week.

*An excellent interviewer, almost in the Eddie Mair class and under-used by Sky, imo.
visage wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:29 am
Because toughing it out plays well with their base.

Resigning would just be giving in to do-gooders. And if we did that we'd basically be like France, which is unacceptable.
Also the flip side - staying in post would outrage the do-gooders, so must be the priority. Because it's all a big game of pigeon chess and if you can get one of them upset you win points.

Honestly, it's like a naval mutiny where they stuff the captain and everyone with a fucking clue onto a raft, throw the compass overboard, and sail off laughing at the saddoes on the raft while not noticing that the ship's on fire.
Arrowhead liked this
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:59 am
PCs, including laptops, create a barrier. Folders don't, so much. It's seen as more natural, more organic. I was told this by my brother's partner, who's a social worker. That, she said, is the reason why so many social workers carry around a suitcase/basket on wheels for all their files*.

*Additionally, it's a subtle way of saying "look how much work I have to do", and the other thing is that for a lot of people, entering info onto a device can be upsetting - "what are they using it for, who are they sharing it with?". Whereas pen and paper looks more honest and simple.
This might be one of those things like pointing with your thumb and not your finger where the basis behind it makes sense, but in practice - or at least how it is used by someone out top project an image rather than for the reasons why not doing it can cause discomfort - it just looks freaky.

I just see someone supposed to be in charge of a modern govt. department with a desk that could pass for something in use in 1935.
visage wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:29 am
Because toughing it out plays well with their base.

Resigning would just be giving in to do-gooders. And if we did that we'd basically be like France, which is unacceptable.
I think it's more than that. Just look at the cult of personality around the Ledge. Karen on Facebook and @karen023056239 on Twitter idolise him. He's not just a good Prime Minister he's the GOAT*. Everything he does is absolutely perfect. You can point out fact and logic until you're blue in the face; they're having none of it. He Got Brexit Done, that was right, therefore everything he does is right. He is the government, therefore everything the government does is right. QED. Because if they accept that something the government does is wrong, then they might start to wonder whether other things they do might be wrong, and that would be unthinkable.

*Greatest Of All Time, m'lud.
Boiler liked this
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 am

I just see someone supposed to be in charge of a modern govt. department with a desk that could pass for something in use in 1935.
He could always ask Paul Thomas for office design tips.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:30 am
Niall Paterson* on Sky News has just taken him apart. Great job, Williamson having a plane crash. He really is as useless as he looks, he can't last the week.

*An excellent interviewer, almost in the Eddie Mair class and under-used by Sky, imo.
Completely agree Malc. Having actually conversed with Niall on Twitter a few times, he comes over as a genuine intelligent chap with quite the withering put down. Although La Burley has come on leaps and bounds in recent months, he's doing a top notch job on Breakfast, although he was always good at that when he used to host it with Sarah-Jane Mee before she got shifted to the afternoon.

Meanwhile, back to the matter in hand, and are we sure this isn't Steve Coogan resurrecting the character of Gareth Cheeseman?

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

US election 2020

The Governor of Iowa isn't up for re-election this[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]

The Trump Presidency

Ouch. END OUR NATIONAL CRISIS The Case Again[…]