Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 42.4 % :thumbsup: 24.2 % 😯 3 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 6.1 % :cry: 6.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Reminds me of a guy I once got "interviewed" by, for a job advertised as a "great opportunity in marketing" but was actually trying to get people signed up to direct debits in an Asda car park.

The interview took place in some very bland office suite in Birmingham. The sort of place where they can pack up and get out in 5 minutes. Most of the attendees were students looking for a few bob, the Williamson-alike was on his phone going on about what a wild night he'd had and how fit the female students were. Wore the sort of suit that Apprentice candidates think makes them look serious, actually just makes you look like a scally at a wedding/court appearance.

The actual interview bit was rather strange. Another Apprentice candidate said that he was going to describe the company set-up, then proceeded to talk in very general terms about things while drawing some sort of meaningless diagram - distraction technique I guess. After about 15 minutes he stopped, said that I had what they were looking for (this was after no questions aimed at me or me asking anything) and invited me back for stage 2.

I didn't. It just reeked of fucking dodgy so much.
From a friend on Facebook. She's an AST (Advanced Skills Teacher) and a right dazzler in the classroom.
I am wearied of people describing A level results this year as a "shambles". What it was is a cock up. A proper cock up.
There will be an issue with grade inflation, admittedly, but any teacher who did not predict their students the grade they could have got on a good day with a wind behind them wants sacking.
That is what we do, give our kids the best chance, within professional integrity.
Had Gove not abolished coursework in most subject areas there would have been standardised and moderated existing data which would have allowed robust investigation and evidence into where they might have been this summer. No such data exists.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ent-warned
Following the education secretary’s role in the exam results fiasco, Robert Halfon, the Conservative chair of the education select committee, said the prime minister must personally lead the back-to-school campaign in order to ensure confidence.
Ouch,
The schools minister, Nick Gibb, usually well-liked, has also been the target of some colleagues’ ire. “Nick Gibb is obsessed with grade inflation, he would have thought this system would lead to dumbing down and so you have to wonder – were the right questions asked of Ofqual by Gibb?” one MP said.
I doubt Gibb asked any questions once he was assured Ofqual were lowering grades.
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:30 pm
Reminds me of a guy I once got "interviewed" by, for a job advertised as a "great opportunity in marketing" but was actually trying to get people signed up to direct debits in an Asda car park.

The interview took place in some very bland office suite in Birmingham. The sort of place where they can pack up and get out in 5 minutes. Most of the attendees were students looking for a few bob, the Williamson-alike was on his phone going on about what a wild night he'd had and how fit the female students were. Wore the sort of suit that Apprentice candidates think makes them look serious, actually just makes you look like a scally at a wedding/court appearance.

The actual interview bit was rather strange. Another Apprentice candidate said that he was going to describe the company set-up, then proceeded to talk in very general terms about things while drawing some sort of meaningless diagram - distraction technique I guess. After about 15 minutes he stopped, said that I had what they were looking for (this was after no questions aimed at me or me asking anything) and invited me back for stage 2.

I didn't. It just reeked of fucking dodgy so much.
I had a similar experience with some dodgy door to door pyramid sales scheme in Wolverhampton.

After a day selling products with the guy door to door he said he totally wanted me on his 'crew'. I pointed out I was just after some summer work, and was off to Oxford in a couple of months. He said I'd regret not taking the opportunity.

Spoiler: I didnt. Obviously.
According to a civil servant I know, he offered to resign, but was overruled. Make of that what you like.
Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

US election 2020

The Governor of Iowa isn't up for re-election this[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]

The Trump Presidency

Ouch. END OUR NATIONAL CRISIS The Case Again[…]