Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 42.4 % :thumbsup: 24.2 % 😯 3 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 6.1 % :cry: 6.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Andy McDandy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:23 pm
According to a civil servant I know, he offered to resign, but was overruled. Make of that what you like.
It really is I Love 1995. That was a staple of the Major era, offering to resign. Add that to the revival of the Michael Howard Doctrine- minister not responsible for "operations" unless they go well.

Jeremy Hanley will be making a comeback at this rate. Suitably gaffe-prone, I hope.
BTec grades pulled on eve of results day

More than half a million pupils face a fresh round of results chaos after exam board Pearson pulled its BTec results on the eve of releasing them.

Pearson said it would be re-grading all its BTecs to bring them in line with A-levels and GCSEs, which are now being graded via school-based assessments.

The 11th-hour move affects 575,000 pupils, 250,000 of whom received grades last week.

The rest were due to collect results on Thursday along with GCSE candidates.

Pearson apologised and acknowledged the additional uncertainty the decision would cause.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:37 pm
Andy McDandy wrote:
According to a civil servant I know, he offered to resign, but was overruled. Make of that what you like.
It really is I Love 1995. That was a staple of the Major era, offering to resign. Add that to the revival of the Michael Howard Doctrine- minister not responsible for "operations" unless they go well.

Jeremy Hanley will be making a comeback at this rate. Suitably gaffe-prone, I hope.
One vital difference. I'd kill to have that Major Government in charge now. They're like the Attlee administration compared to the fuckers we've got at the minute.
oboogie, Zuriblue, spoonman and 2 others liked this
KevS wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:37 pm
Andy McDandy wrote:

One vital difference. I'd kill to have that Major Government in charge now. They're like the Attlee administration compared to the fuckers we've got at the minute.
I've said it before and it becomes more true with every passing fiasco. Nothing sums up the shambles that governs us now more than the fact that John Major, at the time a byword for mediocrity, is now, almost a quarter of a century after leaving front line politics, still head and shoulders above everyone in the government, and for that matter a lot of the opposition.
Timbo, Boiler liked this
Andy McDandy wrote:
No one can go now, because if one does they all have to and if one is forced out they'll spill on all the others. Most of all, no one can go because doing so will immediately make Cummings look bad. And we can't have that.

It's a double-edged sword though. It means they all stay in office, but it also means every time one of them stays put it makes the government look worse and more corrupt. And it also makes reshuffles incredibly dangerous for Johnson. Put someone with ambition's nose out of joint and there could be all manner of leaks and briefings.
Yes all good thanks, Malc. I'm only doing a couple of days a week work at the moment until things pick up so I'm away from the computer most of the time, hence the lack of posting! Still just walking, BBQ'ing and taking it easy for now, which I'm sure will come to an end soon enough so I'm making the most of it! Hope yourself and the Mailwatch family are all doing well.
That's good. I think we're mostly OK!

On another topic - Starmer doen't keep dogs and go woof personally. Here's Kate Green's opinions on the Williamson-Gibb nexus of incompetence.

That's how it's done.
oboogie liked this
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -algorithm
The education minister Nick Gibb has admitted he was warned about concerns that the algorithm used to determine exam grades could disproportionately affect poorer pupils.

In a round of media interviews on the morning GCSE results were published, the minister defended the standardisation system, insisting the model was fair but that it was implemented incorrectly.
Gibb said it “certainly was foreseen” that private school pupils could benefit from the use of the algorithm, because it was already clear that small cohorts had to rely more on the teacher-assessed grade than on the standardisation process, but he said that applied to the state sector as much as to the independent sector.
The state sector's got money sloshing about to run courses that hardly anybody takes?
Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

US election 2020

The Governor of Iowa isn't up for re-election this[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]

The Trump Presidency

Ouch. END OUR NATIONAL CRISIS The Case Again[…]