Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 48.1 % :thumbsup: 24.1 % 😯 1.9 % :grinning: 13 % 🙏 5.6 % :cry: 7.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Cyclist wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:51 pm
And what's going on in the rest of the country?

The news recently has all been about London primary schools. What about the schools in the rest of the country that are supposed to be opening next week? Schools which are in utter chaos because of one dogmatic incompetent turd. Where's the direction for schools in other tier 4 areas? Williamson is not the Secretary of State for Education in London, he is, god help us, the Secretary of State for Education. Full Stop.
From what I understand the NEU is making a national case and some of what is left of the EAs across the country are making similar submissions* - but yes, this should be for all schools, at least in Tiers 3 and 4.

*Some are Tory controlled...
Meet the new breed of cabinet minister - too rubbish to fail

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sh-to-fail
The Grauniad's been on fire these past few days.
And another expensive clusterfuck on the horizon. Williamson has a wizard wheeze for training 1000 new teachers per year:

https://www.tes.com/news/knowledge-base ... ar-dfe?amp
Nothing but jargon and management speak. Experts I've never heard of. No firm details. Reliance on things that don't exist. Innovation, diversity, synergy, first in the world*, knowledge-based**, cutting edge.

Wanna buy a fireplace?

*As Mrs A pointed out, nowhere else in the world would do something so piss-poor.

**I wonder if Gav knows what happens on degree courses?
Williamson isn't interested in building a working relationship with teaching unions, or doing right by students, because he doesn't care. He sees his post as a stepping stone to greater things. Unions and students he will write off as lefties who don't matter. On the other hand, he's playing up to his audience of thick people who hated their schooldays, people who hate kids, and those convinced that all unions are basically communist. Those groups all overlap somewhat.
oboogie liked this
It always worry me when government ministers use phrases like, "the first of its kind in the world". There is probably a good reason why its the first in the world. Other countries have probably looked at the proposal and quickly spotted the floors.

A lot of training we did in school last term was on-line training and most of it was utter rubbish. The school told all staff to do a course of child protection which should have taken 40 minutes to complete if you read all the documents included in the training but most staff quickly realised that if you read the questions before looking at the documents you could skim read and do the work in half the time. Even when you got a question wrong you were given a second attempt at the question so you literally couldn't fail the course.
The pro-forma letter that the NEU is recommending all members dnd to their
head teachers:

Dear [name of head],
Re: Health & Safety
I am writing to you following the increase in transmission and infection rates currently recorded across England.
You are, I am sure, aware that you have legal duties to protect the health, safety and welfare of your staff and pupils. Those duties arise under the following legislation: -
Sections 2 and 3 of the Health & Safety Act 1974
Regulations 3 and 8 of the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999
Regulation 4 of the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992
Regulation 4 of the Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations 1992
Regulation 7 of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002
The most recent advice from SAGE is that schools should not open in January other than for children of key workers and vulnerable children. This is because the scientific advice is that it is not safe for schools to open. There are new variants of Covid-19 that are highly infectious and infection rates have increased significantly since schools closed.
I appreciate that measures have been in place since September to allow the school to open but according to SAGE those measures may no longer be sufficient. They state in their most recent report: -
The introduction of Tier 4 measures in England combined with the school holidays will be informative of the strength of measures required to control the new variant but analysis of this will not be possible until mid-January.
Based on the above I do not believe that it is safe for me to return to teaching or supporting full classes at [name of school]. 

If I do attend [name of school] I believe that this will present a serious and imminent danger to my health and safety.
I am therefore writing to inform you that I am exercising my contractual right not to attend an unsafe place of work. I believe that not attending work in the current circumstances is an appropriate step for me to take for the following reasons: 

The dangers that are preventing me from attending work are the risk of contracting coronavirus and or spreading coronavirus to others. 

The person(s) I am seeking to protect are myself, my family, our pupils, their families, my colleagues, their families and members of the public.

I believe that this danger is serious because coronavirus infection is potentially fatal and has already resulted in more than 73,512 deaths in the UK with a significant up surge in recent weeks.

I believe that, if I were to attend work, the danger would be imminent because before Christmas the highest infection rates were in children of school age, and the new variant may be more transmissible amongst students than previously.

I will be happy to return to the workplace once SAGE is satisfied that the R rate has decreased, scientific advice has been produced on safety measures required to make schools more “Covid secure”, risk assessments have been updated and any necessary further safety measures implemented.

In the meantime, I am of course willing to carry out any of my duties that can be undertaken from my home, including planning, preparing and delivering on-line learning including supporting colleagues; and being in school supporting the learning of key worker and vulnerable children where necessary.

Yours sincerely,
More on that shiny new world-beating Institute of Teaching which *will* be ready in 2022. (It's the official .gov.uk site, so you just *know* it's going to be bollocks)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... stablished
oboogie liked this
How by the holy books of RJ Unstead is this the right time to be talking about reorganising teacher training?

(Mrs A suggests that it's to fill the shortfall that burn out or die of Covid).
oboogie liked this
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:31 pm
Williamson isn't interested in building a working relationship with teaching unions, or doing right by students, because he doesn't care. He sees his post as a stepping stone to greater things. Unions and students he will write off as lefties who don't matter. On the other hand, he's playing up to his audience of thick people who hated their schooldays, people who hate kids, and those convinced that all unions are basically communist. Those groups all overlap somewhat.
Being education secretary must be like a polar opposite of being Home Secretary. Your budget is always going to be cut and subsequently your department will never deliver an adequate service but it doesn't matter, because the people who work in your sector will always take the blame for any shit that hits any fan, and most important of all, the People want you to fail, because they want to go back to the old days of corporal punishment and the 3 Rs.
Many years ago I heard an interview with then home secretary David Waddington in which he said that Home secretary was the trickiest of the great offices, because it was all about solving problems. None of the glamour or travel of the foreign office, or power of the exchequer or Downing Street. He also said that people could see immediately when you were failing, because the results - rising crime etc - were on everyone's doorstep. Similar to Education.

Now though, it's been rephrased. A war against the intransigent, stick in the mud police (or in this case teachers), appealing to people who intrinsically distrust them. "Good for him if he's pissing off the teachers" will be the first thought of many out there.
oboogie liked this
Actually, what I'm seeing on the local FB groups here in Tory Central (Nadine Dorries Land) is exasperation turning to anger, aimed mainly at Johnson and Williamson for the education shitshow, and at the wider government for their mishandling of the whole pandemic.

The majority of these people are dyed-in-the-wool Tories who voted for this government.

Ref sending kids back to school, a common comment is "If it's not safe for us to go out it's not safe for teachers and children".

That may surprise you to hear they're regarding teachers as PLU, and are directing all of their bile at the government.

If it's happening here, you can bet it's happening across the country.
The Tories, Generally

More on Sir Dismal Swyne: On 28 September 2019, […]

"Boris" Johnson

Spectacularly stupid Cybernat row about Johnson v[…]

Paul Thomas Redux

Just spotted the guy giving a blow job. Fuckin[…]

Round the Blogs

https://jenzerb.medium.com/i-left-my-career-in-pre[…]