Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 42.4 % :thumbsup: 24.2 % 😯 3 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 6.1 % :cry: 6.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:41 pm
But won't that mean there are a lot more people achieving the grades for university entrance than normal? Where do all the places come from? In a pandemic? Doubtless, lots of stuff will be online when term starts and you might be able to add some capacity. But what about when things come back to normal? Where would eg all the labs be for the extra students?
The government line is that there's plenty of spare capacity due to the fall in overseas student numbers due to Brexit*.

*Of course they don't mention it's due to Brexit. But it is.
That makes it even more bizarre. They could have given university places to a lot of the kids they've downgraded? So they downgraded just to make a point about grade inflation?! Or they don't want to pay up front for the places that the foreign students would have paid for?!
The reasons, if simple, are many.

Distrust of teachers - lefties who are too clever by half and don't thump kids enough/tellthem they're failures. Straight from the Thatcherite playbook.

Simplistic positivism - it's all about numbers, algorithms and 'measurability' - again from the Thatcher playbook, but also too common in Blairite politics. Feelings are irrelevant. Also feeds into:

Insecurity - are we being played? The automatic assumption that 'the blob' will game any system. Partly true, schools and teachers have had to be masters of that art.

Dunning-Kruger - Lack of intelligence - they simply don't understand the complexities and demands of the siuation.

Lack of critical thinking skills - Laziness - "How hard can it be" - no idea of what a good job would entail. (The 3 stages of solving a problem using critical thinking: 1) What does the question mean? 2)What would an answer look like? 3)What information do I need to fully answer 2.)

Sacked the help - the staff at the DfE has been reduced by ⅔ since Gove and Comeings took it over. And thos remaining aren't the high flyers, they're the admin staff.

Useless Advisers - advisers chosen for their political correctness (Brexiters) not their knowledge of education or government.

Reliance on private enterprise - give the contract to a sponsor or friend, not a department of the civil service which actually knows what it is doing. Seen many times during Covid...

I could go on, but like me you are probably losing the will to live. And I've already done more to analyse the faults in this system that Williamson has.
Nick Gibb on Any Questions was talking about the dangers of grade inflation. Which there is, but currently only in Public Schools so that's fine.
Attachments
117825127_3275424935881068_6456943830759009794_n.jpg
117825127_3275424935881068_6456943830759009794_n.jpg (45.23 KiB) Viewed 578 times
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:47 am
The reasons, if simple, are many.

Distrust of teachers - lefties who are too clever by half and don't thump kids enough/tellthem they're failures. Straight from the Thatcherite playbook.

Simplistic positivism - it's all about numbers, algorithms and 'measurability' - again from the Thatcher playbook, but also too common in Blairite politics. Feelings are irrelevant. Also feeds into:

Insecurity - are we being played? The automatic assumption that 'the blob' will game any system. Partly true, schools and teachers have had to be masters of that art.

Dunning-Kruger - Lack of intelligence - they simply don't understand the complexities and demands of the siuation.

Lack of critical thinking skills - Laziness - "How hard can it be" - no idea of what a good job would entail. (The 3 stages of solving a problem using critical thinking: 1) What does the question mean? 2)What would an answer look like? 3)What information do I need to fully answer 2.)

Sacked the help - the staff at the DfE has been reduced by ⅔ since Gove and Comeings took it over. And thos remaining aren't the high flyers, they're the admin staff.

Useless Advisers - advisers chosen for their political correctness (Brexiters) not their knowledge of education or government.

Reliance on private enterprise - give the contract to a sponsor or friend, not a department of the civil service which actually knows what it is doing. Seen many times during Covid...

I could go on, but like me you are probably losing the will to live. And I've already done more to analyse the faults in this system that Williamson has.
I think too the algorithm stuff is quite instructive. "Here's a clever bit of tech to sort it all out", never mind judgement and expertise. I am almost surprised that a political adviser didn't spot the problem though.

Then again, I'm probably not.
Cyclist wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:09 pm
Tubs, I think you'll find a senior political advisor *is* the problem.
Political advisors are supposed to care about how things will look. Never mind fairness, they ought to have seen how badly this fits with the image of "sticking it to elites" and backing people who "haul themelves up". The Tory Party, as it sees itself, isn't supposed to knock them back down again on the basis that the school they go to hasn't had good results in the past.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Cyclist wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:09 pm
Tubs, I think you'll find a senior political advisor *is* the problem.
Political advisors are supposed to care about how things will look. Never mind fairness, they ought to have seen how badly this fits with the image of "sticking it to elites" and backing people who "haul themelves up". The Tory Party, as it sees itself, isn't supposed to knock them back down again on the basis that the school they go to hasn't had good results in the past.
We all know which advisor is running this government, and whose advice is the only advice the government are allowed to heed.

Do you think he cares about any of that stufl?
The Tories, Generally

Not to defend Williamson, but this looks like […]

Boris Johnson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-546[…]

Labour, Generally.

That's the busiest part of the existing networ[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Can't wait for Daniel to test out my brand new sea[…]