Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 67.6 % :thumbsup: 8.1 % 😯 1.4 % :grinning: 14.9 % 😟 5.4 % :shit: 2.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Winegums wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 am
Hussain was a shit, but far more people will die as a result of this war, and ensuing resource-theft and destabilisation.
Oh I SEE, I get it now. When Corbyn voted against the war in Iraq he was actually super-clairvoyant and predicted everything that would happen over the ensuing 15 years in absolutely minute detail. Well this changes everything, and explains his support for those dictators brutally murdering their own people. Because they'd all be very grateful to be murdered by Saddam rather than ISIS, right?

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Quite an interesting little Labour List piece here from Diane Abbott, most of which it is very easy for just about any Labour supporter, of whatever stripe, to agree with.

https://labourlist.org/2018/03/diane-ab ... nt-to-win/

Except for one brief paragraph, which of course claims to "address" what I think is THE primary and most pressing issue that Britain faces :
Our perspective also applies to the vexed issues (sic) of Brexit. In line with its principles, Labour’s consistent approach is to prioritise jobs. This means we will vote down anything that threatens jobs and prosperity in this country.
Really? Labour will vote down anything that threatens jobs and prosperity in this country? Well we'd best vote down Brexit, then, hadn't we? Oo-err, no. Hang on a minute.

Here's the crux of the matter. Labour has tried to sustain a ludicrous pretence, all in the name of "respecting the referendum result" that a form of Brexit that does not threaten jobs and prosperity in the UK is possible. It is not. Not in any particular version of our universe that may exist within the multiverse.

This untenable position is moving closer and closer to the full exposure of its absurdity by the day, and there is a very real prospect that it could prove Labour's undoing, and spell the end of its chances of returning to government.

How much more effective would a sustained, honest critique of the appallingly negative consequences of Brexit for ordinary working people from the day the referendum result was declared have been ? Rather than, as the Labour leader did, calling for the immediate triggering of article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty on the very morning of the referendum result.

And this would have been, and is still, possible while respecting the referendum result, impossibly narrow as it was. Respecting the referendum result does not mean blind, everlasting obeisance to it.

Keeping up the critique of any prospective Brexit, pointing out that the British people should be able to reconsider, would arguably have contributed tellingly towards shaping public opinion on reconsidering Brexit. Instead, Labour has shamefully neglected this duty to shape public opinion, preferring, it would seem at the prompting of the leader of the opposition, a "me too" approach that most voters find indistinguishable from Theresa May's position.

The rest of Abbott's article is completely sound. But the whole article, in my view, graphically illustrates why Brexit is the massive, continuing shitstorm that could quite literally fuck everything up.

I'd go further. I still have my doubts about Corbyn's leadership, I will freely admit. But the dreadful, appalling, mishandling of Labour's approach to Brexit - the salient elements of which are clearly being driven by Mr Corbyn (though thank god for Keir Starmer) may be the sole factor (and it is a massive factor) preventing this particular long-serving Labour member from getting fully on board with the Corbyn project. It really is that important, and deserves rather more than a cursory paragraph in a Diane Abbott think piece.
By visage
Membership Days Posts
This is fairly absurd as well:
That is why the addition of 3.5 million votes in 2017 was such a huge advance for Labour, for Jeremy and for Corbynism. To put this in context, no Labour leader added so many votes at a general election since Clement Attlee in 1945. Tony Blair certainly didn’t. His gain of 2 million new votes in 1997 was the basis for Labour’s landslide. But he lost 4 million votes over the next two elections. Public spending restraint followed by illegal wars is not electorally popular.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm
Let's call it what this is a purge, they are purging anyone who is not 100% loyal to them.
Nobody's getting purged. The top jobs are going to go to people who are ideologically aligned with the leadership and membership. Same as it was under Blair.

Difference is Corbyn extended an olive branch to the centrists and they told him to fuck off.
Labour, Generally.

I've seen one report predicting that if Labour wer[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Don't mistake British politeness for weakness', […]

Fuck it, bring it on, let the Apocalypse commenc[…]

Nigel Farage

Nigel Farage, providing cover for all kinds of dic[…]