Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 65.2 % :thumbsup: 6.7 % 😯 1.1 % :grinning: 20.2 % 😟 4.5 % :shit: 2.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Many of the big Corbyn fluffers weren't bad, but have since immersed themselves head-first in the kool-aid. Jones. Fenton. Mason.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
There's a Bombardier train factory in Derby. I don't think they've been vocal on Brexit, but there is concern in the rail industry about.

Perhaps the MP for Derby North could devote a bit more attention to this rather than turning up in the constituency other MPs, like Angela Smith, who backs the Single Market for the sake of workers at places like... Bombardier in Derby.
mattomac liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:26 pm
There's a Bombardier train factory in Derby. I don't think they've been vocal on Brexit, but there is concern in the rail industry about.

Perhaps the MP for Derby North could devote a bit more attention to this rather than turning up in the constituency other MPs, like Angela Smith, who backs the Single Market for the sake of workers at places like... Bombardier in Derby.

Perhaps Chuka Ummuna could highlight the concerns of Rolls Royce Aerospace in Derby while Chris is busy in Streatham praising the strategic political genius of Ted Knight.
Rolls-Royce mulls European move as Brexit deal worries grow https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... ries-grow/

Or if you're a Luton MP spend less time leching over women more than half your age

The owner of Vauxhall has warned of "dramatic consequences" for its UK plants if there is a no-deal Brexit.

Speaking to the BBC, Carlos Tavares said the carmaker's "number one" request of Brexit talks was free trade.

Mr Tavares is chief executive of PSA, which bought Vauxhall and Opel last year and has operations in Ellesmere Port and Luton.

He said: "If we don't have free trade conditions then of course we will have to adapt".

"That may have dramatic consequences for our operations in the UK, which of course we would like to avoid as much as possible. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45718930

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Ha ha, yes.

I see Chris's commitment to the city council elections have been questioned. This is desperately unfair. I mean, who could think he cared more about electing the JC9 to the Labour NEC, eh?

I expect some were glad he's been occupied rehabilitating Ted Knight than knocking on doors.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm
A party of airy-fairy activists banging on about defining anti-Semitism over workplace issues was never going to impress many union delegates.
Labour MP Chris Williamson Facing Deselection Threat After Union Anger

The Labour MP for Derby North, Chris Williamson, will “definitely” be challenged under new party rules that have made it easier to oust sitting MPs, several sources have said.

Williamson is expected to face a “trigger ballot” in his marginal Westminster constituency as local activists take advantage of changes that mean just a third of union branches are needed to force a contest.

But what was seen as Williamson’s move to cut trade union members out of the process sparked a furious backlash, with both Unite and the GMB warning that it was an attempt to cleave Labour from its historic roots.

-The left-wing backbencher is popular among many members of the grassroots Momentum organisation, not least for his Democracy Roadshow campaign for automatic reselection of every Labour MP.

The issue flared up at the party’s conference last month, with some Momentum supporters shouting “shame on the unions” after they blocked more radical attempts to open up every Parliamentary seat to automatic selection.

“He’s definitely going to be triggered,” a source at one of the big trade union told HuffPost UK. “No doubt about it.” https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 6edaa0f39f
Best news I've heard all week.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Williamson has also managed to piss off the League of Cruel Sports.

https://www.league.org.uk/News/campaigning-against-us
Chris Williamson MP, formerly a trustee at the League Against Cruel Sports, has made public statements about the League, both on his own social media pages and by giving his story to the pro-hunting Times newspaper. We feel we need to set the record straight, so our supporters are not given the false impression as to what is happening at the League.

In addition, Chris is claiming to be trying to ‘Save the League’. Considering he has attended only three Regular Board Meetings of 15 in the last three years, how can he know what we need? Our Constitution demands just a little bit more attention than that.

The first story in the Times, which Chris provided to a journalist who is known for writing anti-League stories, alleged that we had asked another trustee to ‘hack’ the Countryside Alliance’s emails. We completely dispute this and you can read our full response to the story here.

But Chris needs to answer some questions. If he has got evidence that we hacked the Countryside Alliance, where is it? Why did he talk to a pro-hunt paper instead of the police?

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Bizarre mess here.

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/a ... al-credit/
John McDonnell drew widespread praise when he told Sky’s Sophy Ridge on Sunday that universal credit was a “shambles” and “iniquitous” and added: “I think we are moving to a position now where it is just not sustainable. It will have to go.”

His comments were widely reported, with Sky itself saying “Labour to ditch universal credit”, the BBC reporting him as saying “universal credit has to go”, the Mirror saying “Labour would scrap ‘unsustainable’ Universal Credit”, and iNews saying that “Labour will scrap ‘shambolic’ Universal Credit system”.

But when Disability News Service (DNS) asked Labour’s press office to confirm that the party’s policy was now to scrap universal credit, a spokeswoman said instead that the benefit system was “clearly failing in its current form”.

Instead of committing to scrapping universal credit, she said that Labour wanted “a root-and-branch review of the social security system”.
Jez backed McDonnell on this, and it's the right thing to do, a good reason to vote Labour. So what's changed?

Did they realize "Oh shit, we don't know how we're going to pay for this?" If so, welcome to front bench politics.

By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Bercow's bullying of his staff has led to at least two of them having breakdowns and needing psychiatric care. Labour are (as Beckett states clearly) willing to overlook that as (a) he's been a good Speaker and (b) he'll useful to Labour for any forthcoming votes on Brexit.

Liz Kendall and Jess Phillips seem to be the only two Labour MPs willing to call this out as wrong. What is the point of Labour if it won't defend victims of workplace harassment on the grounds of political expediency?

It would be instructive if the House of Commons admin did two things: release details of all MPs who have come to 'agreements' with ex-staff over the past few years, and also publish the turnover rate of permanent staff for each MP's office.

By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
It's a question of mathematics. If Bercow resigns there's a good chance the next Speaker will be a Labour MP, which reduces the number of Opposition MPs by one and if Bercow also stands down as an MP, there's an equally good chance there'll be one more Tory subsequently elected.
Europe? And the Future of Britain in Europe

Well deserved I thought.

Nigel Farage

Even if it's not true it's true.

Jeremy Corbyn.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/labour-rem[…]

Toby Young

Translation: I bullied my kids. And I show th[…]