Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 50 % ❤ 2.5 % :thumbsup: 2.5 % 😯 2.5 % :grinning: 22.5 % 🧥 2.5 % 😟 2.5 % :shit: 15 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Yeah, Owen Smith got removed quick enough for going off message. And we keep hearing that the referendum he talked about is very much in Corbyn's mind now. The difference between Corbyn and Smith seems to be that Smith floated it when there was still time to sell it properly.

Anybody with any skill can kill time without talking a load of rubbish, like Gardner just did. I suppose the grounds for voting down May's deal would sound a bit thin if he didn't bullshit. Then again, perhaps Labour doesn't need to be there anyway.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:53 pm
Yeah, Owen Smith got removed quick enough for going off message. And we keep hearing that the referendum he talked about is very much in Corbyn's mind now. The difference between Corbyn and Smith seems to be that Smith floated it when there was still time to sell it properly.

Anybody with any skill can kill time without talking a load of rubbish, like Gardner just did. I suppose the grounds for voting down May's deal would sound a bit thin if he didn't bullshit. Then again, perhaps Labour doesn't need to be there anyway.
Smith was talking about the importance of how Labour needs to deal with the Brexit issue, including the possibility of a new public vote, during the leadership contest campaign in the summer of 2016. You'd describe it as prescient, but only by comparison with the pig-headed reaction of Corbyn and The Cult. At the Birmingham hustings, Smith actually said that he suspected Corbyn of having personally voted to leave, and asked him directly if he did. Corbyn stood there and told a barefaced lie, with consummate ease, before moving on to talk about "respecting the will of the people" or some such cliched crap. It's now utterly clear that Corbyn will do all he can to enable Brexit. I hope that a crunch point is coming.
mattomac liked this
I obviously much preferred Smith but I don't think Corbyn could have supported a referendum in 2016. There are people who'd have kicked up a fuss about it and tried to bring him down as "out of touch with real Labour people".

But yeah, these "right side of history" people aren't giving Smith credit. Funny huh?
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am
I obviously much preferred Smith but I don't think Corbyn could have supported a referendum in 2016. There are people who'd have kicked up a fuss about it and tried to bring him down as "out of touch with real Labour people".
Not so sure about that. I recall there were cultists around fully prepared to believe Corbyn if he said that shite was chocolate.
Corbyn didn't have to support a 2nd ref in 2016 but to begin to forensically take apart the promises made to Leave voters. He never even made an attempt to seek an EEA compromise deal that could unite the country. He spent his career in the 80s seeking to overturn a referendum on Europe that his party called. A long time ago but still the same Corbyn despite the lies he told about his turnaround on the EU and NATO to clinch the leadership.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:59 pm
Agree. I was just saying I think there was a reason Corbyn couldn't match Smith on the referendum in 2016.

He could have not voted for Article 50 too. Was it really such a hard sell that the government hadn't done any work?
Well, everything points to Corbyn's lifelong opposition to the EU. As with Trident renewal, he is treating his personal convictions as official party policy. In the case of Trident renewal, he was successfully brought to heel, but he has obviously learned as he has grown into the job how to impose his will on theparty. Would that he had grown into the job in more positive ways.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Indeed. If the shit fits, wear it - as I believe S[…]

David Liddington?

Men in suits. French doors. Glass of whisky an[…]

This could only get better if a small-person clow[…]

Sarah Vine aka Mrs Gove

First Lady MacBeth. FTFY - as I believe you tech[…]