Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 50 % ❤ 2.4 % :thumbsup: 4.8 % 😯 2.4 % :grinning: 21.4 % 🧥 2.4 % 😟 2.4 % :shit: 14.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Given that, as things stand, the first act of the Labour government would be to go to Barnier and get told to fuck off, it isn't that compelling.

I mean, Major's government tottered for a long time but did Labour then just answer big policy questions with "we need a general election"?
Timbo liked this
I can't see any sign of the current operation of 'policy units' in the party structure, cerating policy ideas and preparing for government, as up to 1997. I get the impression that Magic Grandpa's team might think about it some time in the first year.
They were also all over the TV, promoting themselves and the party, talking about what they would do differently, and how it would directly benefit people. Constantly. Building up a feeling of genuine momentum (hah!), that it was their time to govern, that it was when, rather than if. For three years.

Not running away from cameras and making vague noises about unfairness.
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:55 pm
They were also all over the TV, promoting themselves and the party, talking about what they would do differently, and how it would directly benefit people. Constantly. Building up a feeling of genuine momentum (hah!), that it was their time to govern, that it was when, rather than if. For three years.

Not running away from cameras and making vague noises about unfairness.
Exacte,
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:43 pm
I can't see any sign of the current operation of 'policy units' in the party structure, cerating policy ideas and preparing for government, as up to 1997. I get the impression that Magic Grandpa's team might think about it some time in the first year.
Yeah, I remember you saying about the pre-1997 Education stuff. I don't know if there are capable people working behind the scenes, but Corbyn doesn't even know which parts of the railways are already nationalized. Ian Gilmour said of the pre-1983 Labour Party that they just thought stuff happened because they'd decided it should. You see it now when people ask questions about Brexit strategy and people say "but conference decided blah blah". Conference can decide what it likes, doesn't make things work.
Kids playing at politics. And when frustrated by reality, squawking that someone's not playing properly. As people from the Duke of Wellington to Mike Tyson have pointed out over the years, reality has a way of mucking with well laid plans.
Is it usual for the Leader of the Opposition and his closest allies to write to the paper like this? It's like they're not the shadow cabinet but a bunch of people who don't want a bypass built.

They didn't get any of the 5 frontbenchers with responsibility for foreign affairs to sign. Nor any of the 4 responsible for Defence. Not the Deputy Leader.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:33 pm
Actually there are 2 Doreen Masseys. Unfortunately, the one who looks far more likely to have signed this sort ofletter is the dead Doreen Massey, not the alive one.

Just curious. Who's the living one? I'm assuming the live Doreen must be some figure of note since logic suggests there must be many thousands of other living Doreen Masseys.
Change UK (formerly the Independent Group)

We were all asked some time back (by the board own[…]

Boris Johnson

I edited the headline to show his full name, but t[…]

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Matthew 6:5 applies.

Meanwhile in America

Sherrod Brown was my choice. I know it's easy to o[…]