Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 48.9 % ❤ 2.2 % :thumbsup: 4.4 % 😯 2.2 % :grinning: 22.2 % 🧥 2.2 % 😟 2.2 % :shit: 15.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Using the Labour brand to get elected even when you disagree with the policy platform is a bad idea now, is it?

I have news for a Mr J. Corbyn of Islington in that case...
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:15 pm
Well done again, Chris. Fancy fighting a by-election in Derby North?

I don't like Austin much. But Christ. "Using the Labour brand to get elected"? And as ever failure to understand that MPs don't just represent party members.

I'm not Austin's number one fan either but I'd take him over Williamson any day of the week.
A Labour leader with any sense would have put a stop to Williamson travelling round other MPs' constituencies with his "roadshow".

Nobody much seems to get how powerful MPs are. I mean "they left and haven't fought a by-election!" Yeah, who thought they would?
Can we ever get it across to dipshits like Williamson (and most other members of Momentum) that an MP's responsibility isn't to a cadre of middle-class, public-school educated activists in his own party, it's to his or her electorate - whether they voted for him/her or not?

An utterly perverse definition of parliamentary democracy. Or thick. Or mendacious.
Boiler, Cyclist, Timbo and 1 others liked this
I know its constitutionally correct to say you elect an individual as an MP and not a party but its not politically popular to leave your party and squat the seat. But it only happens on this scale when something is very broken with the party system and its better for democracy for it to play out unhindered.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 pm
Not exactly going to be hard to find people who'll say "I voted Labour but I wasn't voting Jez", is it?

Our CLP fought an issues GE campaign last year with no mention of Corbyn on the leaflets. Strangely there weren't any protests about it from JezFans. Not that most of them canvassed but the ones who did know he's a liability.
No longer Labour I know, but:

The three-month jail sentence handed out to an MP convicted of lying was not unduly lenient, the attorney general's office has concluded. Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya had denied being behind the wheel when her car was spotted being driven at 41mph in a 30mph zone, in July 2017. She was found guilty of perverting the course of justice in December. The solicitor general reviewed the sentence after a complaint it was too lenient, but found it was not.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-47360323

Every day I get more mad that the sensible grown ups of the centre aren't in power.
Alan Johnson has long been the scourge of liberals as a pioneering Michael Gove who had enough of toxicology experts when he was Home Secretary. Professor David Nutt's main crime you may recall was presenting data on the relative comparable risks of drugs in a way the Daily Mail wouldn't like. Johnson recently said he still gets gip about David Nutt. So he should.
Euro Elections 2019

... i.e. a sharp kick to the nethers for Labou[…]

Labour, Generally.

It’s OK everyone, apparently it’s Tom […]

Theresa May

That's all those wanting to be the next PM can see[…]

Claire Fox

She's top of the list, sadly. Nigel Farage an[…]