Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 46.2 % ❤ 3.1 % :thumbsup: 3.1 % 😯 3.1 % :grinning: 29.2 % 🧥 1.5 % 😟 3.1 % :shit: 10.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Last tweet today about her, I promise. This bloke is also supported by Len McCluskey.

He and Grace are using the Burgon argument- "I was central to the Corbyn project", as if Jez just romped home in an election.

Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

It's to his credit that he doesn't pin all the blame on Brexit. But it doesn't sound very appetizing, does it? He was talking about "youthquakes" before, sounds more like Blue Labour now.

I don't really know what to do. Get a better leader, slim down the manifesto, but beyond that? My view is that the electorate have taken leave of their senses, and I hope they change their minds. Liam probably does too, but an active politician can't really say that, can they? Years ago it was different. Ian Gilmour, the Tory Wet, wrote in the seventies that he didn't think the electorate were always right and that they'd got it disastrously wrong in 1974. A politician saying that now would probably get the Thornberry treatment.
Ian Gilmour, the Tory Wet, wrote in the seventies that he didn't think the electorate were always right and that they'd got it disastrously wrong in 1974.

I think I get that and its not about we should’ve won boo hoo. I’d only challenge the electorate on GE2010 as a really bad call.
When he wrote that, 1974 was the previous election(s). I don't know how he felt about the losses in the 60. Probably less unhappy than he was about 1974, because he didn't like the Labour swing to the left (funny Corbynites overlook this period and bang on about Attlee, isn't it?)

I think 2015 was the disaster election result. Though at best it would have probably been a narrow majority and well known team players, McDonnell and Corbyn, threatening to bring the government down.
Eurovision, Ambassador to Galifrey, barman on the Harwich ferry?
John McDonnell Seeks 'International Role' After Stepping Down As Shadow Chancellor
I think you have to be a statesman first John. GLC delegate to Nicaragua doesn’t count. He could always fire his agent if Bernie doesn’t call.
McDonnell, who intends to return to the backbenches once Jeremy Corbyn’s successor as Labour leader is elected, said on Sunday he was “easing myself into this role of elder statesman”.

“I’ll look to the longer term direction of the party and also actually be looking for of an international role,” he told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show.

McDonnell said he wanted to work with European partners “as well as hopefully a [Bernie] Sanders administration elected in the US”. https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 19a4b0d42d
oboogie liked this
“Intends to return to the back benches”. As if there’ll be any desire or demand for any of Corbyn’s close entourage to remain in senior roles based on their outright competence or ability.

The most he can intend and have any influence over is hopefully whether the door hits his arse on his way out.
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:27 pm
“Intends to return to the back benches”. As if there’ll be any desire or demand for any of Corbyn’s close entourage to remain in senior roles based on their outright competence or ability.

The most he can intend and have any influence over is hopefully whether the door hits his arse on his way out.
_
Sadly I think it'll be hard to get rid of the Corbynites under 60. Maybe Gardiner but even Burgon will stay in the Shadow Cabinet.
I don't necessarily agree that politically, Starmer will be wise to give Burgon a front bench role. If it were purely on the basis of Burgon's competency and talent, he'd be let nowhere near a front bench post.

I do think that despite all the talkof unifying a divided party, Burgon needs to be squished into the mud. Starmer will need to do quite a lot of Kinnock's work all over again, and he should start as hemeans to go on.
oboogie liked this
I fear Burgon's going to come third, and on that basis it'll be hard to dispatch him. Might be easier to get rid of some of the others- Abbott, Carden, Gardiner, perhaps.

Burgon can be moved down a notch though. Whatever else Labour is short of, it shouldn't be short of authoritative lawyers to do the Justice job. I might keep McDonald but he needs to be moved from Transport and replaced there by Lilian Greenwood, who is very respected.
Abernathy wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:00 pm
I don't necessarily agree that politically, Starmer will be wise to give Burgon a front bench role. If it were purely on the basis of Burgon's competency and talent, he'd be let nowhere near a front bench post.

I do think that despite all the talkof unifying a divided party, Burgon needs to be squished into the mud. Starmer will need to do quite a lot of Kinnock's work all over again, and he should start as hemeans to go on.

Difficult one; Do you hit the ground running, have a night of the long knives and show voters who’s in charge? And then move into civil war instead of fighting the Tories. Or do you wait until you start winning? Your authority is then assured and then you move against the loons.

'Disrespect' cries the man using his daughter as a[…]

Richard Littlejohn

For context. We, as children, grew up with food po[…]

The Tories, Generally

Tory Britain Homelessness: Rough sleeping five[…]

Meanwhile in America

What is it about BAME people that makes white Amer[…]