Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 51.6 % ❤ 2.1 % :thumbsup: 4.2 % 😯 6.3 % :grinning: 24.2 % 🧥 2.1 % 😟 2.1 % :shit: 7.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 pm
That's true but I'd give that a pass because it's difficult to capture all that stuff. But quoting starting salary as if that's what nurses get paid doesn't help anyone.
Might have been you that linked parliamentary research on another thread about regional purchasing parity where the London metropolitan elites only make fifth place.
If you own a house outright in London you can live frugally. Plenty of keenly priced Turkish and Asian mini market food shops in walking distance and no need to purchase a car out of necessity. To stroll around for entertainment there's plenty of free events, green spaces and museums.

My wife's Dad was at Aberfan in the aftermath. She's never heard of "they" blaming the villagers. And I thought it sounded odd since Harold Wilson was the PM. So looked it up. He sent up an inquiry who didn't blame the villagers. They blamed, you'll be amazed to hear, the Coal Board.

Nor have "they" blamed the firefighters for Grenfell- fire brigade bosses have been criticized in the first stage of the enquiry for their response, and the cause of the fire is being investigated. Come to think of it, though Johnson's obviously a shifty blame dodger on Covid, wasn't it more care home managers he was blaming?
Timbo liked this
My wife's Dad was at Aberfan in the aftermath. She's never heard of "they" blaming the villagers. And I thought it sounded odd since Harold Wilson was the PM. So looked it up. He sent up an inquiry who didn't blame the villagers. They blamed, you'll be amazed to hear, the Coal Board.
However George Thomas did screw the villagers over by taking money out of the charity fund to pay for the removal of the spoil tips.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
I was intrigued by the whippet painting in Lavery's avatar and its a painting from what become known as the Ashington Group artists who were Northumberland pitmen who'd meet up once a week to record their lives through art. Varying styles and quality but all less dull and more inspiring than Lowry's portrayal of industrial life of the period. And whose popularity remains a mystery to me
https://www.google.com/search?q=ashingt ... GB865GB865

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-36598063

I bet pricier artistic investments hang on the walls of Len's London shag pad
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Nor have "they" blamed the firefighters for Grenfell- fire brigade bosses have been criticized in the first stage of the enquiry for their response, and the cause of the fire is being investigated. Come to think of it, though Johnson's obviously a shifty blame dodger on Covid, wasn't it more care home managers he was blaming?
Yup. On Grenfell there was an inquiry that noted that with 20/20 hindsight some things could have been done differently. That isnt blaming firefighters - its helping them learn lessons and be better next time. And the firefighters welcome this - they dont want mistakes to be made without lessons learnt.

Its people taking offence on behalf of them to score points. Its disgusting.
Tubby Isaacs, oboogie liked this
I saw a play about the Ashington Group, called Pitmen Painters. It was good, and I bought a book about them (on which the play was based).

It's not exactly Van Gogh and Gaugin. but Oliver Kilbourn made a good stab at being a "proper modern artist" while continuing to work as a miner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Kilbourn
I've only just noticed that the fine people of Wansbeck came within a few hundred votes of delivering their own verdict on Lavery last December. The Brexit Party standing a candidate is probably what just about saved him in the end.

And this is the same political genius who, reportedly, fancies his chances at unseating Starmer shortly? :lol:
youngian wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:22 pm
less dull and more inspiring than Lowry's portrayal of industrial life of the period. And whose popularity remains a mystery to me
I know what you mean about Lowry but, what he did was amplify the banality, the anonymity, and the near invisibility of the individuals who go/went to comprise the working class, especially in the north.

I would rather discuss his art than hang it on my walls, mind.
Aye, you could never accuse old Brian of being half-hearted. Sorely missed.
Last edited by Abernathy on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Keir Starmer

Starmer is going into self-isolation after an aide[…]

Labour, Generally.

A lot picking up on The Corebot's errant apostroph[…]

Boris Johnson

Inclined to agree myself, although "the malic[…]

Marina Hyde - woman of fire

Every week she seems to be getting better. Ag[…]