Topics about the Labour Party
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Of course this will be dragged out by the Corbynites to prove that any Blairite or suspected Blairite is almost certainly going to vote Tory.
And of course the Cooperites will be there to tell them to fuck off, and call them cultists :roll:

By Philip Marlow
Membership Days
Abernathy wrote:Yay! A fellow Brookmyre fan!
Indeed I am. Although, now that I consider it, I'm not sure what book that line comes from, or even whether it was Parlabane who actually said it. I think the point stands though.
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Of course this will be dragged out by the Corbynites to prove that any Blairite or suspected Blairite is almost certainly going to vote Tory.
Of course it's possible to define 'the left' in such a way that you end up with two people at opposite ends of a room, each bellowing 'Splitter!' at the other. There ought to be (and, I'd say, very obviously is) room in the Labour party for people whose politics reside to the right of the current, near-constantly-maligned leader's. But once you've got to the point of putting your name to an article stating that, given the choice between a Conservative government led by David Cameron and a Labour government with Corbyn as PM, you'd rather - on policy grounds no less - have the former, then I don't think you can meaningfully describe yourself as being 'on the left' any more.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Philip Marlow wrote:
Indeed I am. Although, now that I consider it, I'm not sure what book that line comes from, or even whether it was Parlabane who actually said it. I think the point stands though.
"Boiling a Frog", possibly ?
But once you've got to the point of putting your name to an article stating that, given the choice between a Conservative government led by David Cameron and a Labour government with Corbyn as PM, you'd rather - on policy grounds no less - have the former, then I don't think you can meaningfully describe yourself as being 'on the left' any more.
Well put. You've hit the nail very squarely right on the head, there.
By mikey mikey
Membership Days Posts
new puritan wrote:Presented without comment.
I have a confession to make. If David Cameron was Conservative leader in 2020 fighting an election against a Jeremy Corbyn-led Labour then I would have no choice. I’d vote Conservative for the first time in my life.

I wouldn’t duck the choice with a vote for Tim Farron’s ludicrous Liberal Democrats. Farron has done nothing to build on some of Nick Clegg’s smart, centrist positioning while detoxifying the party from its shambolic U-turns and dreadfully naïve politics when in coalition.
http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2016/02/05/th ... e-in-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frrom the article's author on Twitter

Surely not? Is this "Fake Noos"? https:[…]

Aaron Bastani

Next time I pop into Waterstones I might want to t[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Summing the past three years up in a single tweet.[…]

David Cameron

Whilst the original Guardian editorial was rather […]