Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 44.4 % ❤ 5.6 % :thumbsup: 5.6 % :grinning: 33.3 % 😟 5.6 % :cry: 5.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
In a parallel universe, PM Corbyn refused to intervene in Kosovo, and contributed to the genocide that subsequently transpired.

Being a backbench perma-protestor is easy - by definition you'll never have a big fuckup because you're never powerful enough to make one.

Much is made of Jezzas anti-interventionist stance. But he's only been proved 'right' because too many of our interventions have been poorly conceived - not because the stance is inherently right. For every Iraq theres a Kosovo. A Sierra Leone. A Falklands.

Corbyns wisdom is that of a man who calls heads every time and then only highlights when he called correctly.
Catkins, Timbo, bluebellnutter and 1 others liked this
visage wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:00 am
In a parallel universe, PM Corbyn refused to intervene in Kosovo, and contributed to the genocide that subsequently transpired.

Being a backbench perma-protestor is easy - by definition you'll never have a big fuckup because you're never powerful enough to make one.

Much is made of Jezzas anti-interventionist stance. But he's only been proved 'right' because too many of our interventions have been poorly conceived - not because the stance is inherently right. For every Iraq theres a Kosovo. A Sierra Leone. A Falklands.

Corbyns wisdom is that of a man who calls heads every time and then only highlights when he called correctly.
What do you think Putin would make of PM Corbyn's 'no intervention ever' policy?

We've put tripwire forces in the baltic states specifically to stop him getting ideas. Corbyn saying 'Be my guest. Worst case scenario we demand 'dialogue'' Isnt really going to work, is it?
lord_kobel liked this
Violent intervention resulting in massive loss of life and destabilisation of whole regions is good, because otherwise Putin might do it and ?????
Winegums wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:25 am
Violent intervention resulting in massive loss of life and destabilisation of whole regions is good, because otherwise Putin might do it and ?????
How does reneging on NATO collective security treaties as Corbyn has called for promote stability in this region (Europe)?

Corbyn’s not a liberal CND peacenik and never has been. In his circles war and guerilla resistance is always welcome if it acts as a bulwark against US imperialist expansionism.
Basically, Winegums: the call for 'dialogue' isn't necessarily always the best thing, and history doesn't prove Corbyn right on that at every turn, even as any intervention is to be resisted as much as possible imo, and Iraq was a total clusterfuck of awfulness. Second, Putin and co don't give a flying fuck for dialogue. Third, 'dialogue' is a fig-leaf. He's never interested in actually talking to his enemies. Ever.
“Call for dialogue” = “avoid taking a decision”

I’ll say one thing for Corbyn. He is at least consistent. The problem is he thinks never taking a decision = not being responsible for whatever happens. Which is entirely untrue.
lord_kobel liked this
cycloon wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:46 am
Basically, Winegums: the call for 'dialogue' isn't necessarily always the best thing, and history doesn't prove Corbyn right on that at every turn, even as any intervention is to be resisted as much as possible imo, and Iraq was a total clusterfuck of awfulness. Second, Putin and co don't give a flying fuck for dialogue. Third, 'dialogue' is a fig-leaf. He's never interested in actually talking to his enemies. Ever.
Funnily enough I read an interview with an Iraqi not that long ago, who said their lives were demonstrably worse since the invasion of Iraq. Like things weren't great under Saddam, but there was the basis of a functional society. Now it's a hellhole. Also you forgot about Afghanistan, and Syria, and probably a few other interventions that I can't even recall.

I'm actually embarrassed to be talking to real humans, not politicians, who are defensive of our foreign policy. We invade countries, help the US asset strip them, and install governments friendly to the west. That's it. It's violent imperialism to further economic and power interests, it's never been about doing the right thing.

Care to offer me a hot take on Venezuela?
That Kosovo intervention's doing a lot of lifting on behalf of all the murder and warmongering since.

As an Englishman, I can't argue with any of that. […]

Makes me laugh the way banks like Nationwide (with[…]

The Trump Presidency

With the election just over 18 months off, the Dem[…]

Mark Francois MP

Stupidity is the achilles heel of liberal democrac[…]