Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 50 % :grinning: 50 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
He followed up a silly mistake with an even larger blunder all seemingly in response to some Labour list polling that really isn't helpful but when I question Mark Ferguson or whatever his name is why he never posts any positive polling for Labour he shrugs or gives a rather bland answer.

Learnt absolutely nothing have we, I know the VAT Cut was in there but he should have made that central others bit should have been leaked later.

Don't give the bastards an inch, I'm frankly disappointed in my party at the moment, the problem is without Labour stuff like Gay Marriage would fall because that other lot of shit are on the whole a horrible bunch of bigoted tossers with a sense of entitlement.

I know the next 10 years is a lesson in managing decline but for fucksake don't launch web campaigns around stuff then turn around a week later and say oh by the way we would stick with it. What next keeping the bedroom tax, it's not really what they want to keep or what they don't it's the rubbish that comes before in campaigns and so on, makes the party look dreadful personally.

By Daley Mayle
We can now expect to inherit an economy with families under real financial pressure, businesses that have lost vital opportunities to invest, and public finances in poor shape, despite deep cuts to vital public services. This bleak inheritance is now more likely because of the missed opportunity of this Spending Review.
Labour are even pinching Tory soundbites. They'll be talking about Broken Britain next. Ailing Albion anyone?

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Daley Mayle wrote:
We can now expect to inherit an economy with families under real financial pressure, businesses that have lost vital opportunities to invest, and public finances in poor shape, despite deep cuts to vital public services. This bleak inheritance is now more likely because of the missed opportunity of this Spending Review.
Labour are even pinching Tory soundbites. They'll be talking about Broken Britain next. Ailing Albion anyone?
Well Labour will very likely inherit a bad situation
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
mattomac wrote:He followed up a silly mistake with an even larger blunder all seemingly in response to some Labour list polling that really isn't helpful but when I question Mark Ferguson or whatever his name is why he never posts any positive polling for Labour he shrugs or gives a rather bland answer.
To be fair, this LabourList poll suggests sticking to Tory spending plans wouldn't do anything for Labour's popularity with the voters.

http://labourlist.org/2013/06/poll-show ... upporters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The overwhelming majority of voters (63%) say that Labour backing Tory spending plans would have no impact on their vote at the next election. Only 18.1% say it would make them more likely to vote for Labour if Ed Balls backed Tory spending plans, whilst 19% say it would make them less likely to support Labour.
Admittedly, this bit seems a tad confusing at first glance:
In fact, the group of voters most likely to say that backing Tory spending plans would make them more likely to vote Labour are existing Labour voters. 37.5% of current Labour supporters say they’d be more likely to back the party if Balls followed Osborne’s spending plans, compared to 21.4% who say they’d be less likely to back the party.
But that could just be hardcore Labour supporters giving what they perceive to be the most pro-Labour answer to the question.

By Daley Mayle
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:
Well Labour will very likely inherit a bad situation

Hmmm sounds good... 'We have been handed a serious situation'. 'We've been dealt a bad hand'. It certainly suggests that it was all the Tories fault.

Miliband thinks that because he did his mea culpa about New Labour's part in the events of 2008 and 'moved on' then everyone will think the same. He is so wrong. He should be offering hope for the future and clearly explaining how he intends to achieve this and how his party differs from the Tories.

BTW 'Bleak Britain' sounds a good soundbite for Labour to describe the country under the Coalition, albeit a tad Dickensian.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
As the Tories wanted to spend more before the banking crisis (by wanting Irish corporation tax levels for eg), the narrative about Brown/Balls economic incompetence is a piece of disingenuous guff that has stuck with the public.

If Balls has to respond with similar low level of debate to recover some ground, I don't personally like it, but thats politics.

By Tubby Isaacs
I come back to the point that the last Labour government's spending depended on private debt to a massive extent. Its average tax as percentage of GDP was consistently lower than Thatcher/Major's. That can't come again.

So it's raising taxes, I think. That really means income tax, at the basic rate. And that's extremely difficult.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Not impossible though, but you have to play the tough chancellor card before you do it.

The main clearwater issue Balls should implement is to fall in line with most of the Western wolrd and implement rent controls inorder to cut the escalating HB bill. The idea of domestic property being places to live in rather than a one way speculative investment is not exactly a radical concept.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:The main clearwater issue Balls should implement is to fall in line with most of the Western wolrd and implement rent controls inorder to cut the escalating HB bill. The idea of domestic property being places to live in rather than a one way speculative investment is not exactly a radical concept.
Completely agree. But the Labour leadership seems to be leaning towards regional benefit caps instead.

By Daley Mayle
new puritan wrote:
youngian wrote:The main clearwater issue Balls should implement is to fall in line with most of the Western wolrd and implement rent controls inorder to cut the escalating HB bill. The idea of domestic property being places to live in rather than a one way speculative investment is not exactly a radical concept.
Completely agree. But the Labour leadership seems to be leaning towards regional benefit caps instead.

How can he implement a cap on a regional basis? Where would he draw the line? Nightmare.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
The main clearwater issue Balls should implement is to fall in line with most of the Western wolrd and implement rent controls inorder to cut the escalating HB bill. The idea of domestic property being places to live in rather than a one way speculative investment is not exactly a radical concept.
I think Milliband may signal a move towards this

while capping structural payments, such as housing benefit, with a shift to building homes instead of paying ruinous rent. Whatever welfare cap he proposes will probably be set “over a number of years” rather than for one parliament.

By Tubby Isaacs
Daley Mayle wrote:
new puritan wrote:

How can he implement a cap on a regional basis? Where would he draw the line? Nightmare.
Same way as you have London weighting for salaries. Could be done.

More of a worry is that it makes the Tories' argument for regional pay stronger. There are decent arguments for it already, but the big problem is that it would lead to money coming out of regional economies and mess them even more.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:More of a worry is that it makes the Tories' argument for regional pay stronger. There are decent arguments for it already, but the big problem is that it would lead to money coming out of regional economies and mess them even more.
It's a very slippery slope. You can just imagine Tories using the weakness of regional economies (which would be further exacerbated by a regional benefits cap) as an excuse to drive through regional pay, regional minimum wages etc. Labour need to steer clear of this.

By Tubby Isaacs
Yes, indeed. Normally I don't worry too much about slippery slopes, because most things aren't all or nothing anyway, but they have a point that public sector salaries aren't the best manner of putting demand into local economies.

The Tories are pretty dense. Can't see they've considered setting off the cuts in regional pay with rises in infrastructure spending there.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Must be attractive for a London/Southeast public sector worker to calculate the rent/mortgage/transport savings by doing the same job in a less propersous region.

What niggles me is the contemptous way the Tories think working people must be penalised for having an increase in their living standard, rather than raising London weighting.

There is also an argument about the private sector in the poorer regions can't compete for skills because of these supposedly outrageous public sector wages. Their costs are far lower than the Southeast, try offering them a better starting salary.
Sir Keir Starmer

He could do well to ignore drivel like this. http[…]

Boris Johnson

Blimey. Obviously I hope Johnson recovers. And as […]

The new leader of the Labour Party

Well, that didn't take long, did it? Savile […]

Roll Call

My sister - upon my request - sent me a photo of h[…]