Page 730 of 737

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:14 pm
by Tubby Isaacs
A few people would buy her defence, in fairness.My question may or may have been a rhetorical one.

The righteousness with some of that lot is very strong. They see "Evil Tories doing evil" as a statement of fact. "Tories" covers quite a large share of the electorate in their worldview, so it's hard to discern why they think this is a winning approach.

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:12 am
by The Red Arrow
Labour MP Dawn Butler closes Willesden constituency office after threats 'dramatically escalate'

The former Labour frontbencher went to police last month after abuse for defending Black Lives Matter protests
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 92636.html

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:15 am
by crabcakes_windermere
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:14 pm
They see "Evil Tories doing evil" as a statement of fact. "Tories" covers quite a large share of the electorate in their worldview, so it's hard to discern why they think this is a winning approach.
Because it doesn't have to be a winning approach. It just has to be a *worthy* approach. If you win, it shows you were right and anyone who ever says you weren't right in any capacity for any reason is therefore utterly and permanently disproven. And if you don't win, well then it isn't because you don't have better ideas or better solutions - it's just because you were either sabotaged (so those that should have seen how right you are were hoodwinked into voting against their best interests, which is whatever you say that is) or everyone else is a scumbag Tory bastard who would never vote for you anyway.

Absolutism is incredibly simple on the one hand, but requires extraordinary acts of contortionism on the other.

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 pm
by The Weeping Angel
I see the Corbynistas are ranting and raving about Jack Straw.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Jack%20 ... rend_click

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:23 pm
by mattomac
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 pm
I see the Corbynistas are ranting and raving about Jack Straw.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Jack%20 ... rend_click
Beyond the millions of words they spit out and yet haven't the foggiest about, the route for all the vitrol was Straw praised Starmer. :roll:

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:02 pm
by Tubby Isaacs
Yep.


Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:09 pm
by Malcolm Armsteen
When she saw that Mrs A stood up and applauded...

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:45 pm
by Tubby Isaacs
There's a lot of talk about Labour's problems being down to being "left on culture" in terms of putting off "heartland" voters. Doubtless some of that is true, but being Corbynite on defence must be a big part of it too.

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:16 pm
by crabcakes_windermere
If there was anything that shows how little Corbyn has moved in 40-odd years, it’s that he still equates Russia with being “good guys” because of communism, despite Putin being in power for 2 decades.

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:44 pm
by Tubby Isaacs
The finest hour on that front was blaming NATO for Russia invading Ukraine.

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:36 pm
by davidjay

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 am
by youngian
mattomac wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:23 pm
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 pm
I see the Corbynistas are ranting and raving about Jack Straw.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Jack%20 ... rend_click
Beyond the millions of words they spit out and yet haven't the foggiest about, the route for all the vitrol was Straw praised Starmer. :roll:

Plenty to rant and rave about from the Blair years about Straw but 'former Labour MP praises Labour leader' doesn't really cut it.

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:16 pm
by youngian
Most recent polls have a bit of messy jumping around between the parties but little evidence of movement from Tory to Labour. This one does though

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:18 pm
by Malcolm Armsteen
Expel Jez and we'll make 15 points overnight.

Re: Labour, Generally.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:22 am
by youngian
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:18 pm
Expel Jez and we'll make 15 points overnight.
I’m not convinced but do it anyway and we’ll find out. I’m finding it difficult to find a downside to this move. Starmer’s latest approval rating with Labour voters is 77 percent.