Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 56.3 % ❤ 1.1 % :thumbsup: 11.9 % 😯 2.5 % :grinning: 20.2 % 🧥 0.4 % 🙏 1.1 % 😟 2.5 % :cry: 3.2 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Bones McCoy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:00 am
I get the impression that Cummings has lost control of this particular narrative.
Maybe he's planning to bail out with Boris.
As long as they forget their parachutes... :twisted:
Oblomov liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:00 am
I get the impression that Cummings has lost control of this particular narrative.
Maybe he's planning to bail out with Boris.

Bojo hasn't appointed his horse as senator yet but looks like his chief advisor is a one trick pony. I'll reserve my judgement until a few new polls are published. This sort of spiteful crap rallies the base like Trump caging Mexican children. War on benefit scrounging mums and infuriating the lefty libtards is double bubble.

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Potential HS2 commuters are discovering that they not only can work from home, but they might do for the foreseeable future. It's looking more and more as though the government is bulldozing nature reserves and ripping up 200 year old trees because they're clinging to a mistake they've put a lot of time and effort into making.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Samanfur wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:17 pm
Potential HS2 commuters are discovering that they not only can work from home, but they might do for the foreseeable future. It's looking more and more as though the government is bulldozing nature reserves and ripping up 200 year old trees because they're clinging to a mistake they've put a lot of time and effort into making.
I think the government would love to ditch HS2 and claim it's saved a fortune. I'm sure it's sticking with it because it thinks it's needed.

We don't yet know about long term commuting patterns, but road commuting seems to have held up much more than rail commuting, which suggests to me that it's fear of the virus as much as consistent discovery that working from home is best. Plus I think it's hard to argue that there's not been significant suppressed rail demand at peak time (because it's expensive and uncomfortable). If traditional Buckinghamshire professionals start working from more often, then they could easily get replaced by new commuters, who want access to better jobs in cities where home working isn't the standard. Or you could replace them with more day trippers who've not bothered before the convenient trains are too expensive, and the cheaper ones don't allow enough time at the destination to be worthwhile.

And of course HS2 is not just about commuting capacity- it's also providing intercity connections, and high speed rail is pretty much the international standard for that. It's expensive to build in the UK, compared with say France, but on the plus side a couple of lines can join up most of the major UK cities with just (HS2 and HS3.

I find the claims of environmental damage made by the Greens etc are pretty overdone. There's a dissident Green account is worth following.

https://twitter.com/greens4hs2?lang=en-gb
youngian liked this

By Boiler
Certainly since returning to work, the jams at J7 on the A1(M) are only there later in the morning but at just gone seven this morning, there was nowt - which never used to be the case on a Monday.

By bluebellnutter
davidjay wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:45 am
On the "spending carefully" note, i wonder whether Starmer is considering a pledge to scrap HS2. It's unpopular, expensive and therefore a potential vote-winner.
Well he'd lose my vote, although I doubt he'd care.

By crabcakes_windermere
My main beef with HS2 apart from the eyewatering cost of it in the face of a work from home resolution is they bottled it. If it really opened up fast, cheap(er) travel to the North and on to Scotland that’d be one thing. But as it is, it’s basically Birmingham bonus track.
oboogie liked this

By oboogie
HS2 is a very slow, very expensive way of addressing the symptom whilst ignoring the cause.

The cause is the disparity in jobs, wealth and cost of housing between London the rest of the UK. Rather than pander to London commuters, what is needed is quality jobs in the Midlands and the North so that fewer people want to commute from Birmingham to London.
Samanfur, Cyclist, Arrowhead liked this
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
I can't make my mind up about HS2. Half of me thinks that it's a vanity project which is just for business users and could well be a white elephant as Skype and the like will reduce the need for business travelling.

The other half thinks it will relieve congestion on the West Coast main line which is near capacity.

By crabcakes_windermere
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:26 pm
That's the busiest part of the existing network, so it's being built first. Who's suggesting it stops at Bimingham?
Phase 2 is probably going to happen around the same time as Leveson 2 gets underway.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:59 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:26 pm
That's the busiest part of the existing network, so it's being built first. Who's suggesting it stops at Bimingham?
Phase 2 is probably going to happen around the same time as Leveson 2 gets underway.
Phase 2a to Crewe ought to be done reasonably fast after the Birmingham bit. But it does seem that the last bit to Manchester and the whole section to Leeds might be a while.
The Tories, Generally

You only have to see one interview with him. No h[…]

Would you expect anything else from Jones? Meanwh[…]

Labour, Generally.

https://twitter.com/Maomentum_/status/133282130525[…]

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mps-raise-conce[…]