Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 57.6 % ❤ 1 % :thumbsup: 11.4 % 😯 2.4 % :grinning: 19.7 % 🧥 0.3 % 🙏 1.4 % 😟 2.4 % :cry: 3.1 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
If the investigation into the Scum Party wouldn't slow the press down too much, how about the fear of the searchlight being turned on themselves? I can think of one or two publications which don't have a very good track record when it comes to writing about Muslims.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Anybody following this? Is it as bad as it sounds? Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but it doesn't look great.

As the same poster says later on, doesn't seem like a great idea to have 16 year olds running for national election and having stuff they've said previously held up to close scrutiny.

From this, it looked like 21 people under 18 ran for office.

https://labour.org.uk/activist-hub/gove ... minations/

I'm not sure this is appropriate at all. Can't we have a bit more "all must have prizes" about it? Have a big committee, which they can all sit on, get to know each other, and feed ideas into the organization informally. Don't even have a young person as secretary/treasurer/whatever. Stick a couple of MPs in charge.

By Tubby Isaacs
She lost her council seat, she lost her Westminster seat. You'd expect that might lead to a spell of reflexion, but she can back to run the risible Burgon for Deputy campaign, and is now back in the thick of the NEC.

You became an MP at 29. Wouldn't it be an idea to go and do something else for a while? Get some broader experience of something? You might then realise that "forced to walk out" because you got the hump doesn't really cut it. I mean, if you think Starmer's a snake trying to force you all out, don't charge straight into the trap like this.

By Timbo
They really, genuinely, can't see that he did anything wrong, can they? Is this just a cognitive block (like Jeremy's own 'no enemies to the left' blind spot)? Or is it that they think Jews are in a conspiracy against him because he'll stop them hoarding money or some other such bollocks?

His prevarication, weasel-wording and talent for making everything about him while convincing his disciples that he is selfless are pathological. Literally everybody else in the country can see him clearly for what he is. What the flying fuck about this whole situation drives a person to think 'Starmer is the bad guy here'?

By Tubby Isaacs
I can see why they think Starmer's out to get Jez and maybe the left as a whole. The way to respond to that is to get the whole left match fit, not to cling on to Jez. They were prepared to chuck benefit claimants under the bus in 2017 by swallowing most of the Osborne cuts. They can chuck Jez under it too, if that's how they want to see it. Ring him up, tell him he's a distraction and should retire.

By Malcolm Armsteen
And they have been remarkably poor at articulating their vision for a left-wing future government, in fact they haven't, apart from McDonnell, who has advanced some ideas which have some merit, but would be acceptable to a left-centre Labour government.

By Bones McCoy
This sounds like the Liz Jones reading of forced.
ZOMG Waitroze FORCED me to buy the second most expensive brand of cashew oil.
Delivery drivers heads must roll.
As opposed to
Mister Starmer marched us out of the meeting at gunpoint.

By crabcakes_windermere
As someone said on Twitter, it's Death of Stalin stuff. It's now about fear of losing Corbyn as a focus before they've established who comes next - because if the Corbynistas have shown anything, it's that they are exceptionally good at seeing enemies everywhere and starting a fight in an empty room. Corbyn himself was only elevated to his position of infamy by circumstance/accident - and you can absolutely bet that if there was any sort of foresight that a left-wing candidate would have won the leadership election in 2015, there would have been a tooth and nail fight for who took the crown. There is, and has never been, *anything* remotely special about him.

But he is where his, and as a consequence they're now screwed because he's so insipid he would never himself make a strong case for a successor. Without Corbyn there is no truly common cause, there will be obsessions and disagreements about the most minor and irrelevant of differences, and it all falls apart. But the catch 22 is there is no one clearly set up to take over, but no one can become a strong figure ready to take over without challenging Jeremy and thus drawing the ire of other supporters. So you're left with weak no-hopers like Long-Bailey and Burgon on one hand, and over-reachers like Pidcock - who was as close to being the anointed one as it's possible to get with Corbyn's lukewarm efforts on anything, until she threw her own spanner in the works and proved to be even less successful than Jeremy himself - on the other.
davidjay, Timbo, oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
One of the political geniuses who "walked out" of a Zoom meeting the other day.

I mean, sure, make a case that Manchester is in the wrong tier. But areas deciding what tier they go in is where these Tory MPs complaining about restrictions in their constituencies are.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:27 pm
One of the political geniuses who "walked out" of a Zoom meeting the other day.

I mean, sure, make a case that Manchester is in the wrong tier. But areas deciding what tier they go in is where these Tory MPs complaining about restrictions in their constituencies are.

Reminds me of what someone i know said on Facebook that the only reason London was placed in Tier 2 was so the Tories could have somewhere to have a slap up meal.

By Tubby Isaacs
Boiler wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Errrrr.... yes, Westminster makes policy for England.

His point being?
Regional devolution of pandemics doesn't exactly grab me. My friend in Madrid has fucking Vox in her regional government.

Hard to appreciate sometimes, but even our Vote Leave Government have to worry about broad support and swing voters and exist in an institutional structure with stuff like SAGE. Regional government in England could easily be run by clowns taking advice off the internet, elected on tiny turnouts.
Timbo liked this
Chris Grayling

Chris Grayling leads MPs' charge to save hedgehog[…]

Roll Call

As does your presence here.

Richard Littlejohn

Mouthy bird, Inshee?

With the EU considering banning vaccine exports, i[…]