Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 58.1 % ❤ 1.6 % :thumbsup: 10.1 % 😯 0.8 % :grinning: 20.9 % 🙏 0.8 % 😟 3.9 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 1.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:34 am
Didn't think this hand grenade would be lobbed. I can't see a party with seven MPs is going to make much impact.
I remember a time when the "Gang of Four" split from Labour and gave a struggling tory party 3 more terms by splitting the opposition vote.

You see a general election under our system is essentially a vote of approval for the government's performance.
If there are 2 or 3 oppositions, then they'll split a 40, 50 or 60% disapproval allowing May and her successor (Boris) to govern on about 30% support.

We're royally fucked.
Even if Labour welcomed these people back tomorrow, the divoded party subtext would be all over the red-tops for a decade or more.

And finally watch the red-tops.
MP's like Chukka Ummuna will magically transform from uppity beyond the pale types to principled and sensible MPs whi deserve the support of anybody with the temerity to not vote Tory.

I feel quite conflicted writing this.
I've just walked away form a job where conditions became unacceptable to me.
Several collegues suggested "Just switch off your brain, keep turning up and collect the money".
I can see how much harder it must be for MPs who've devoted many long years to a principle they hold dear.
They can't have taken the decision lightly.

I consider theirs a principled act, but still a major strategic blunder.
davidjay liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 pm
He hasn’t said or done anything detrimental to the party for 34 years. The only reason for keeping him out is for being Derek Hatton. Fair enough. Next up the very sinister Peter Taafe will be back.
Fair point. However the timing, and the perception it gives, is woeful.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
He hasn’t said or done anything detrimental to the party for 34 years because he is an absolutely toxic force for everything that exists only at the margins of Labour, and that is where he has hitherto remained.

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:16 am
To be fair, apparently that one is a bit of an outlier as the labour councillor is extraordinarily unpopular after trying to ban all dogs from local parks.
Someone thought that Bob Servant, Independent was a how-to manual?

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
I for one am tortured that noted racist, scab and homophobe Ian "literally who" Austin has left.

Can't believe Comrade Corbyn has purged the ranks so effectively by letting MPs walk out the door.
Labour, Generally.

It’s OK everyone, apparently it’s Tom […]

Euro Elections 2019

Scotland and London had almost identical (<1%) […]

Theresa May

That's all those wanting to be the next PM can see[…]

Claire Fox

She's top of the list, sadly. Nigel Farage an[…]